Join for free
Page 37 of 190 « First < 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 87 137 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2015, 08:34 PM

Re: Bob's Bits.

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
bob's bits or is that bites - he likes to catch a bite or two but usually finishes up with bits of everything - keep biting bob we like to see you bite!
Do you think that Bob's Bits are no longer interesting Gumbud?
You might be right, I'm not sure if my bits are falling on deaf ears Gumbud.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2015, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Found myself with a bit of spare time this morning and had a read of the news from 26th November 1703....

There was a great storm on this day in 1703 classed as the worst disaster of all time, it struck Southern England sinking 13 ships and killing over 1500 seamen. 4000 Oak trees were lost in the New Forest and 2000 chimney stacks were blown down in London.
Several hundred people were drowned when the Somerset Levels were flooded and the Eddystone Lighthouse was destroyed killing the six occupants. Admiral Sir Cloudesley Shovell's ship the HMS Association was blown from it's berth in Harwich all the way to Gothenburg in Sweden.

Can't blame that one on Carbon Dioxide and Global warming.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Storm_of_1703

As always they had to blame someone bob

The storm was considered to represent the anger of God, for what Defoe called ‘the crying sins of this nation’, meaning specifically the failure of the navy to make any progress in the war with France. The queen issued a proclamation for a national day of fast on 19th January 1704, to beseech God to forbear from sending another greater storm.

***Whilst you may think your 'bits' are no long worthy, some of us do enjoy viewing them .
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2015, 11:38 AM

Thanks for your support Solo, I'm pleased to report that Bob's Bits will rumble on.
But not today, I managed to jog round most of a five mile walk this morning and although I was pleased with my effort it has left me with sore buttocks (due to a previous muscle tear) and I can't seem to find a comfortable position to sit in. I will begin working down today's list of things to do and try to forget about the pain.

Just before I go though; I have been selected to drive my daughter and two granddaughters to Manchester to visit the Coronation Street studios tomorrow, although me and the other half won't be doing the tour (we did it last year) so I predict a wonderful meander round the retail outlets. As long as there is a nice lunch waiting for me - perhaps my first Christmas Lunch of the year - I'll be happy.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2015, 03:44 PM

I still pop in now and again and catch up with your interesting blogs Bob.

Our daughter bought us tickets for the Coronation Street tour and we visited a few days ago. Stayed at the Premier Inn at Salford which was only a short walk away. On the way back to the east coast we called in at The Carding Shed at Hepworth near Holmfirth, as it was recommended by friends. Not a very big place but interesting if you like all things vintage; cars, clothes, gifts and a lovely cafe.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

29-11-2015, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Val J ->
I still pop in now and again and catch up with your interesting blogs Bob.

On the way back to the east coast we called in at The Carding Shed at Hepworth near Holmfirth, as it was recommended by friends. Not a very big place but interesting if you like all things vintage; cars, clothes, gifts and a lovely cafe.
Thanks for looking in Val, it's nice to see you (so to speak) Although we didn't call in to the Carding Shed this time, I have made a note and will be looking in soon, sounds interesting.

I had no trouble at all finding my way as far as Piccadilly Train Station, I then resorted to my Sat-Nav for the last half mile or so through the city centre. After leaving a nice fine morning in Yorkshire, the weather started to deteriorate as we climbed over the Woodhead Pass and dropped down the other side into Tintwistle and Denton. By the time we arrived at the car park close to the Coronation Street Tour it was chucking it down.

After leaving the Daughter and Granddaughters at the entrance to the tour, me and the wife made a hasty dash into the city centre for lunch. Manchester is not how I remembered it, long stretches of road were being dug up, and scaffolding clung to many many of the buildings lining our route. The rain poured down and produced large areas of standing water which quickly soaked trousers and filled shoes, crowds of people barred our way, and as hunger tightened it's grip I began to sink into a deep depression.

Debenhams to the rescue with a splendid Christmas dinner, after which I was ready for anything, including the drive home after having collected the weary and wet passengers.
Manchester is not a place I will rush back to anytime soon, especially when it rains, and eighteen quid in the car park was a bit steep.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

12-12-2015, 04:24 PM

It looks like Bob's back on the road.....
After setting off walking on my morning walks I've ended up jogging most of the way round (mainly to keep warm) and each time it becomes a little easier with less after effects. So tomorrow I shall do a proper run - shorts, vest and watch - and see how a five miler goes........

Must tell you about last Monday though; drove to Meadowhall with some friends, had a delicious Christmas Dinner in House of Fraser and then took the tram to the Sheffield Arena to watch Status Quo. They have lost none of their ability to rock and entertain. If anything they were better than I remember last time I saw them twenty years ago at the same venue.

Also last week, went to see 'Bridge of Spies' with Tom Hanks, It's a thinking man's film, no gratuitous violence or unnecessary bad language, it contains a story, quite rare these days, and I can strongly recommend it. I don't think I've ever seen a bad film with Tom Hanks in. A couple of my favourite Tom Hanks films include:- The Green Mile and Castaway.

Better crack on with this washing up now, wife's gone with Daughter to Nottingham to bring Granddaughter home from university for Christmas and they will be back soon.
Daughter reckons the M1 is scary with all the heavy rain, so hope she's as good at driving as her Dad.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2015, 06:02 PM

I do drop in from time to second! tom hanks - try ladykillers it's an absolute hoot!

I was a CC runner at 14yrs but didn't find it competitive enough - I do hope you are having regular medical checks - wouldn't want to miss the next xmas heh?

have a good one if you make it!!

ps: all this talk about driving to manchester etc is depressing me and the rain of course - my evening temp is 30C and top 35C I like these narrow gaps! but we are awaiting the 'wet' which is always refreshing

try to get a look at Cliffy - doco on a cross country runner albert ernest clifford young - very funny too but may be hard to get unless it can be downloaded. this is real long distant country running!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

17-12-2015, 10:01 PM

Last Sunday's run was exceedingly good (as Mr Kipling would say) although it started off as one of the coldest mornings so far this year with the occasional frozen puddle it made the usually muddy lane quite firm. A bit like my buttocks! I managed to jog round the five mile course in such a slow time that I am considering swapping the stopwatch for a sundial. But it was so nice to be up on my toes and feel the wind in my face again. Sometimes during a layoff due to injury you have to wonder if 'this is it' and you have run your last race, especially as age begins to take it's toll.

Not yet though. Tuesday's run in the rain was warmer but it turned the lane into a quagmire. Today's run however was three minutes faster than the first two and it felt comfortable and pain free, and I was satisfied with the progress.

Thanks for your concern Gumbud, the medical profession deemed it necessary to insert a couple of stents following a heart attack last year and suggested that returning to running would be acceptable. I only jog these days and try to keep the distance down but (touch wood) I've managed to get back to some decent running.

Although I much prefer the heat to the cold I think 30 degrees would be pushing my endurance to the limit. I still envy you though Gumbud, the older I get the more I dislike the cold. I will search for 'Cliffy' he sounds like my kind of guy.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

17-12-2015, 10:19 PM

A snippet about Cliff Young......Awesome bloke and running in Doncaster, same as me.

Sydney to Melbourne Ultramarathon
In 1983, the 61-year-old potato farmer won the inaugural Westfield Sydney to Melbourne Ultramarathon, a distance of 875 kilometres (544 mi). The race was run between what were then Australia's two largest Westfield shopping centres:Westfield Parramatta, in Sydney, and Westfield Doncaster, in Melbourne.[4] He ran at a slow loping pace and trailed the leaders for most of the first day, but by running while the others slept, he took the lead the first night and maintained it for the remainder of the race, eventually winning by ten hours.
Before running the race, he told the press that he had previously run for two to three days straight rounding up sheep ingumboots.[5] He claimed afterwards that during the race, he imagined that he was running after sheep and trying to outrun a storm. The Westfield run took him five days, 15 hours and four minutes,[1] almost two days faster than the previous record for any run between Sydney and Melbourne. All six competitors who finished the race broke the previous record. Despite attempting the event again in later years, Young was unable to repeat this performance or claim victory again.[4]
He became very popular after this "tortoise and hare" feat, so much so that in Colac, Victoria, the Cliff Young Australian Six-Day Race was established that same year. In 1984 he was awarded the Medal of the Order of Australia "for long distance running".[6]
In 1997 at age 76, he made an attempt to beat Ron Grant's around Australia record and completed 6,520 kilometres of the 16,000-kilometre run, but he had to pull out because his only crew member became ill.[7] In 2000 he achieved a world age record in a six-day race in Victoria.[8]
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

24-12-2015, 01:32 PM

Just come back from my Christmas Eve five mile run, I just managed to beat the rain storm known as Eva (racing Eva on the Eve, has a ring to it don't you think?) Christmas will all be over by the next time I lace up my shoes on Sunday although the wife has expressed a desire to go out for an early morning walk tomorrow before the family arrives. It might be a struggle as she wants me to go to midnight mass with her so it will be a late night; I'm not really a believer but I like to go and have a sing song and chew the fat with some of the neighbours I don't see very often - while they are breaking the bread and drinking the wine, nice.....

I ran past the school on Tuesday and noticed all the lights were on; I think they broke up on Friday, I enjoyed glimpses of the large Christmas Tree in the hall when I used to run past, but it's gone now, I suppose they will be getting the school ready for next term. A bit sad really that it's been taken down before the big day.

Nice and quiet in the house now, I've just taken the O/H to have her nails done for the festive period so I thought I'd take this opportunity to do a blog on 'Bob's Bits' and wish anyone looking in a very Happy Christmas - Both of you.
I have really enjoyed being part of Over 50's getting to know most of you from your writing or profiles, it's like an extended family without having to feed you all. I know a lot of people think that blogging is just attention seeking (I've read some of the comments on other topics) but I just like being part of the forum, it's like standing at the bar in the old days and someone saying "What are you getting up to these days Bob?" Most of the bars have gone now, and so has drinking beer (for me, anyway, I never really liked the taste) so forums have taken over where you can meet new friends, and turn them off when you've had enough......

So I might pop in when time allows (you lucky people) but for now, All the best to everyone and have a happy and peaceful Christmas.......Right, let's get this party started, where's the Harvey's Bristol Cream............

Page 37 of 190 « First < 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 87 137 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top