Join for free
Page 9 of 9 « First < 7 8 9
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2016, 03:54 PM

Re: The KEY points of Cameron's EU deal are up for debate.

I have just heard on the news that ministers who are campaigning against remaining in the EU will not be permitted access to either state funds or the assistance of civil servants. On the other hand, presumably, those campaigning to remain in the EU will.

Is this a fair and egalitarian way to hold a referendum, or even to run a country?

The possibility of this happening was discussed some time ago and, at that time, I wrote to my local MP asking for her stance on this matter. I am still awaiting a reply. I can only assume, therefore, that she is an 'innie' or at least she values her position in government to a greater extent than her duty to the people who elected her!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2016, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I have just heard on the news that ministers who are campaigning against remaining in the EU will not be permitted access to either state funds or the assistance of civil servants. On the other hand, presumably, those campaigning to remain in the EU will.

Is this a fair and egalitarian way to hold a referendum, or even to run a country?

The possibility of this happening was discussed some time ago and, at that time, I wrote to my local MP asking for her stance on this matter. I am still awaiting a reply. I can only assume, therefore, that she is an 'innie' or at least she values her position in government to a greater extent than her duty to the people who elected her!
Hi

I don't find that strange at all.

Staying in is Government Policy, so Civil Servants follow the line.

Cameron has given the Outers a free line to speak against the Government, but the rules are very clear, they do so on their own.

I am getting fed up with the entire thing already.

i was hoping for a sensible, rational debate on the future if the UK.

Instead we have the same ridiculous mudslinging, half truths and outright lies which we get in an election campaign.

We are very badly served by our current crop of Politicians,
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2016, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
I don't find that strange at all.

Staying in is Government Policy, so Civil Servants follow the line.
No, not strange, but wrong in my opinion considering that half of the government are in favour of our escape.

To my mind, a fair referendum should be held after BOTH sides of the argument have been considered carefully, and the government (were it not so corrupt) should present full details both for and against.

Clearly, Cameron is in favour of staying in and, having the support of 'his' civil servants and 'his' money (to say nothing of his bosses in Brussels), has a clear advantage. This can hardly be considered the way to conduct a fair referendum.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2016, 07:12 PM

It always was going to be a stacked deck, but what Cameron doesn't seem to realise is that the more people think they are being cheated and lied to, the more likely they are to vote to leave..
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

23-02-2016, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
It always was going to be a stacked deck, but what Cameron doesn't seem to realise is that the more people think they are being cheated and lied to, the more likely they are to vote to leave..
That's very true. Every cloud...

Even the left-wing pro-EU BBC are doing their part to publicise this matter!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2016, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
No, not strange, but wrong in my opinion considering that half of the government are in favour of our escape.

To my mind, a fair referendum should be held after BOTH sides of the argument have been considered carefully, and the government (were it not so corrupt) should present full details both for and against.

Clearly, Cameron is in favour of staying in and, having the support of 'his' civil servants and 'his' money (to say nothing of his bosses in Brussels), has a clear advantage. This can hardly be considered the way to conduct a fair referendum.
Hi

I think I may have not explained clearly enough, apologies.

Up to the date that the Referendum Bill became law, both in and out campaign groups were funded by private donation.

Any money before that date does not have to be declared.

Now it is in force the Electoral Commission takes over and both sides have the same amount of money to spend and this will be checked, just like in a normal election.

It is Government Policy to stay in, so Civil Servants have to follow this until they go into purdah before the date of the Election, this is normally 28 days before.

The OUT Campaign Groups have been very well funded before the date, they have plenty of money, some very rich backers.

You cannot have a situation where Civil Servants are forced to brief both for and against Government Policy.

The majority of the Government are in favour of staying in, so unless and until they have a vote of no confidence in Cameron , that is how it will stay.

I am not worried by this, the OUT Groups are very well funded, but that is just my opinion.

If the EU start sticking their nose in, I would cry foul, that would be wrong.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

23-02-2016, 09:59 PM

Thanks for that additional information.

If nothing else, what happens over the next four months will be very interesting.

The only think I am certain of is that my opinion and intention will not change. I'm sure there are many others - on both sides of the debate - who would say the same.

It is the ditherers who are likely to make the difference.

Page 9 of 9 « First < 7 8 9

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top