Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2016, 05:20 PM

Re: Banks threatening to relocate

It's okayMeg you really don't need to get so defensive when someone directly or indirectly discusses the referendum.

You do realise that there is a sizable chunk of the population that didn't vote out and experience some anxiety about the direction the country is going and wish to discuss this.

Time will tell if it was a sensible move, or not.

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Heard it all before the relevant word being 'threatening'.

It is highly unlikely any banks will vacate London although they may set up small branches in europe. Europe isn't the entire world just a small part of it and London is a hub for world banking.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2016, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Baxter8 ->
It's okayMeg you really don't need to get so defensive when someone directly or indirectly discusses the referendum.

You do realise that there is a sizable chunk of the population that didn't vote out and experience some anxiety about the direction the country is going and wish to discuss this.

Time will tell if it was a sensible move, or not.
I don't now what you are talking about Baxter I don't have anything to 'defend' being perfectly happy with my decision to vote to leave the EU. I was merely putting forward a point of view with regard to banks.

Yes I realise a sizable part of the population were 'Remoners' and bad losers too who seem happy to talk down the prospects of this country at every possible opportunity.
We none of us know what is going to happen to the banks for sure as yet so I see little point in speculating .
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2016, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

£65 Billion in taxes is a lot to lose.

It is not the Retail Banks who are the issue here, it is the rest of the financial services, including Insurance, investment banks, Export Credits, Foreign Exchange trades for exporters and Government Debt, not just our own, but throughout the EU.

Many of the major companies involved are not UK owned, they have no loyalty to the UK at all.

Mrs May is going to have a tough job on her hands.
Tough it may be but it shouldn't put her off. The estimated loss is just that an estimate. Even if it turns out to be accurate it will be a price worth paying must to be rid of the vultures.

The mistake was made years ago by allowing foreign banks to buy up their British rivals and compounded by various governments. Now they owe us no loyalties as you say and are free to operate anywhere. Having said that if Britain can make her trading environment more attractive than elsewhere it may well call their bluff and convince them to stay. If they don't so what there will be others waiting to step into their shoes.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2016, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rainmaker ->
Tough it may be but it shouldn't put her off. The estimated loss is just that an estimate. Even if it turns out to be accurate it will be a price worth paying must to be rid of the vultures.

The mistake was made years ago by allowing foreign banks to buy up their British rivals and compounded by various governments. Now they owe us no loyalties as you say and are free to operate anywhere. Having said that if Britain can make her trading environment more attractive than elsewhere it may well call their bluff and convince them to stay. If they don't so what there will be others waiting to step into their shoes.
Hi

I don't often disaree with you, however I cannot see that other banks will step into their shoes.

They are here in London because we have passporting rights for the EU, if we lose them there is no point in remaining here or for new Banks to come here, it is the EU where all the serious money is made.

As you say, we will have to wait and see.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2016, 06:38 PM

I rest my case

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I don't now what you are talking about Baxter I don't have anything to 'defend' being perfectly happy with my decision to vote to leave the EU. I was merely putting forward a point of view with regard to banks.

Yes I realise a sizable part of the population were 'Remoners' and bad losers too who seem happy to talk down the prospects of this country at every possible opportunity.
We none of us know what is going to happen to the banks for sure as yet so I see little point in speculating .
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2016, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I don't often disaree with you, however I cannot see that other banks will step into their shoes.

They are here in London because we have passporting rights for the EU, if we lose them there is no point in remaining here or for new Banks to come here, it is the EU where all the serious money is made.

As you say, we will have to wait and see.
I don't necessarily disagree but the foreign banks were here long before passporting rights came into being and they remain, not only because of this but because of the favorable trading environment. Lighter regulation, skilled exerienced staff and many other reasons.

There are many more reasons than just passporting. Imagine trying to set up a new operation in France with all the draconian employment regulations, 37 hr week, fanatical unions etc, it must be a nightmare.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2016, 08:50 PM

All this worrying about banks, and there are far more serious consequences forthcoming.

I'm particularly worried about the sky falling down.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2016, 07:19 AM

Just as long as the "Old Lady" stays put.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2016, 07:58 AM

The banking industry have been going through a lot of changes recently, long before our leaving the EU. With the increases use of electronic communications to facilitate our banking needs, no longer the need for expensive infrastructure or masses of expensive employees.

So perhaps a few excuses as a base to reorganize things are to be expected, an industry i do not trust to do the best for ordinary savers.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2016, 08:42 AM

Hi

I have a very simple view of Brexit, that is to get out at the minimum possible cost to ourselves.

There was always going to be a cost to both us and the EU, it makes sense all round to minimise this cost.

Unfortunately Politics was always going to rear it's stupid head.

We have no agreement at all amongst our Politicians as to which deal we want from Brexit, it is even worse in the EU.

The EU is not a single entity, lots of Countries, all with their own agenda.

Some EU Countries export very little to us so have nothing to lose by playing silly idiots, others, like Ireland, face major difficulties as much of their trade is with us.

The EU is full of Nicolas, all with their own agenda, as seen by the Belgians scuppering the Canadian deal.

Different people want different things from Brexit.

I wanted out to get away from Merkel and Juncker and their stupid, arrogant rules and actions.

Immigration was not the issue for me, most of our Immigrants do not come from the EU anyway and cutting Immigration even in the EU is not a great issue, we just change our Benefits systems to those like France and Germany.

Germany has just tightened it's system to reduce EU Immigration.

We should be altering our Benefits system now, not even waiting for Brexit, deporting the 600,000 illegals here and slashing non EU Immigration.

We can do all this now, we don't need Merkel and Junckers to give us permission.

We need to start a massive training campaign for our own youngsters, it is an absolute nonsense that we are not training our own nurses and engineers.

We charge several thousand £ to train as an HGV Driver, hence the large numbers of foreign drivers here in the UK.

We should train our own free and start now, we could get the money back in less than two years by taking people off the dole.

We do not need anyone's permission to do all this and in my view we should be doing it now.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top