Join for free
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 > Last »
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2016, 11:17 AM

MPs to vote on Brexit

I've just got resigned to the the fact that Brexit will happen and was hopeful that things are going to be OK!
Now this, it's going to stir it all up again, if it goes the other way there will be trouble!
Why wasn't this sorted before we were given a vote?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2016, 11:23 AM

Re: MPs to vote on Brexit

Because no one believed it would happen, I got up morning after the vote ready to say well done to the winners little thinking I would be on winning side !

Cameron ran away when he realised what he had done. I feel a bit sorry for those left behind to sort it out.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2016, 11:32 AM

Apparently Theresa May doesn't have the power to trigger it without a parliamentary vote, this should have been looked at before Cameron promised us a vote, so he's at fault and his advisors too!
May can appeal against it, but will she?
She wanted us to stay in.
Absolute shambles!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2016, 11:37 AM

I believe she along with the queen can revoke one law that would catapult us out and then we just need yo decide what laws to use and what to ignore. No reason we can't use the ones we already are using from the Eu until we are ready to change.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2016, 11:39 AM

As it happens, I am just listening to a news report that some remainiacs have brought a legal challenge that the government must vote on Brexit before Article 50 may be played. They won their challenge. Their lead claimant is Gina Miller, an investment banker who has had the nerve to announce that this is for the benefit of all of us. I beg to differ!

It is likely that the government will now appeal in the Supreme Court.

Should their case be lost, we shall in effect have a vote in which 650 people will decided whether or not we remain in the EU empire. Contrast that with the 17.5 million ordinary people who voted to leave!

The people who brought the legal challenge describe this as defending 'parliamentary democracy'!

What will be the outcome?

Well, let's consider what is the first priority of most MPs. I would suggest that it is to keep their own lucrative jobs. I think, as that is the case, each MP will first look at the proportion of their constituents who voted for Brexit. If they have any sense, this close to the next GE, they will vote as the majority of their constituents voted.

In any event, should Brexit be scrapped, I can foresee a great deal of civil unrest or, at the very least, certain MPs losing their jobs.

Come back, Nigel. You're needed!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2016, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
As it happens, I am just listening to a news report that some remainiacs have brought a legal challenge that the government must vote on Brexit before Article 50 may be played. They won their challenge. Their lead claimant is Gina Miller, an investment banker who has had the nerve to announce that this is for the benefit of all of us. I beg to differ!

Should their case be lost, we shall in effect have a vote in which 650 people will decided whether or not we remain in the EU empire. Contrast that with the 17.5 million ordinary people who voted to leave!

The people who brought the legal challenge describe this as defending 'parliamentary democracy'!

Well, let's consider what is the first priority of most MPs. I would suggest that it is to keep their own lucrative jobs. I think, as that is the case, each MP will first look at the proportion of their constituents who voted for Brexit. If they have any sense, this close to the next GE, they will vote as the majority of their constituents voted.

In any event, should Brexit be scrapped, I can foresee a great deal of civil unrest or, at the very least, certain MPs losing their jobs.

Don't you mean Guy Fawkes???
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2016, 11:49 AM

The genie has been let out of the bottle if MP' S fail to deliver on the referendum they have to accept the consequences.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2016, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

If that happens then Britain will no longer be a democratic country! Our government had their own "individual" votes on this matter and it is their duty to follow the result of that vote!
As always the lawyers will be trying to prove how good they are, but I wonder how this government will be viewed when their leader said that the vote, to leave, will be executed, or if the civil unrest becomes a major problem. I doubt that Theresa May will hang on to her job for very long.... and that will ,leave us with Corbyn!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2016, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
If that happens then Britain will no longer be a democratic country! Our government had their own "individual" votes on this matter and it is their duty to follow the result of that vote!
As always the lawyers will be trying to prove how good they are, but I wonder how this government will be viewed when their leader said that the vote, to leave, will be executed, or if the civil unrest becomes a major problem. I doubt that Theresa May will hang on to her job for very long.... and that will ,leave us with Corbyn!
Yes. I feel that this action is taking advantage of the fact that some British citizens who, due to their positions in society, have more influence on what happens in this country than others.

This claim of 'parliamentary democracy' is not true democracy at all, in which everyone entitled to vote is allowed one vote.

Of course, I am not in the least bit surprised that the remainiac camp is continuing to do everything they possibly can to delay or even prevent Brexit. It is to be expected.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2016, 12:19 PM

Hi

The Law is the Law, such is life.

Judges look at the wording of the Law, that is their job, they do not consider Justice, that is not their remit.

Parliament makes the Law, not the Judges.

All this fuss and bother could have been easily avoided if Cameron had used his Parliamentary Majority to pass a law making the Referendum legally binding, he didn't.

This is not the end of the world, there will be an appeal.

If, at the end of the legal arguments, Parliament has to pass the decision, so be it.

If they do not, we will know who voted against the wishes of the people and we then vote them out and start again.

I am very proud of living in a Democracy, we cannot have a ruling elite overturning the wishes of the people.

I will put up my deposit and stand against one of those MP's who vote against the Democratic decision of the Referendum.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top