Join for free
Page 2 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2016, 12:35 PM

Re: MPs to vote on Brexit

Yes, I suppose that it is right that Parliament should discuss and authorise the triggering of Article 50, but cynics such as myself can't help thinking that this is just another attempt by The Establishment to delay or interfere with Brexit

There was an unambiguous vote to Leave, and if Parliament refuses to approve such a clear mandate there will be rioting in the streets, and I will be first among them
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2016, 12:37 PM

Latest information here...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37857785

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-37820974

Parliament must vote on whether the UK can start the process of leaving the EU, the High Court has ruled.
This means the government cannot trigger Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty - beginning formal discussions with the EU - on its own.
Theresa May says the referendum - and existing ministerial powers - mean MPs do not need to vote, but campaigners called this unconstitutional.
The government is appealing, with a further hearing expected next month.

More delay, more uncertainty.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2016, 01:47 PM

What is worrying is that it will trigger a General Election.
Who is there to vote for?
If there is an election, if the Tories win it will mean five more years of them, instead of four.
Unfortunately there is no viable alternative, even if the LIB DEMS join with Labour!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2016, 01:52 PM

It does need labour to step up to the plate if that happens but if we get a real brexit i would like a new approach to politics and possibly a meld of all the parties best people to try and move us forward with out lurching left to right and back again each time a four year stint is up. Vote for individuals who are really good not parties who are out dated and have served to get us into such a mess.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2016, 02:10 PM

Hi

As Corbyn has stated that he is in favour of unlimited immigration, not just from the EU, there is no chance for Labour, which means another full term of Austerity.

Mind you , Austerity is much less painful than unlimited immigration.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2016, 02:34 PM

Just because he is doesnt mean rest of party is or will do it.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2016, 02:36 PM

People need to understand that MPs and people at all levels in the "system" are always utterly expendable. The real powers driving everything behind the scenes will continue their agenda regardless.

If they find ways to foil Brexit and then all of Westminster is sacked to "appease" the masses don't fall for it.

This is essentially one giant game of poker between the elite and the dumb populous.

The dumb populous just called the elite, they said "bluff" and now the elite have to show their hand. The house of cards is going to tumble one way or another.

When it happens people will start to see that they are trapped and are not in any kind of democracy at all, but rather a carefully manufactured "Matrix" which keeps them dumb, keeps them working for a pittance and keeps them subservient.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2016, 02:46 PM

This really is a Pandora's Box! To try and force Theresa May to show her hand regarding the negotiations and then challenge or vote against the terms, has to be a definite no no.
It's all very well people like Steven Kinnock, a staunch pro-European, saying he will vote for Article 50 because it was the people's vote to come out, but we all know with people such as him, there will be a sting in the tail if the terms are not to his liking. Just think of people like Corbyn and the SNP when it comes to open borders when it comes to the Parliament vote!!
I can only foresee a General Election looming.

I appreciate that according to the legal position by the judges, Parliament voted to give away rights when we joined the EU and therefore believe that Parliament should again vote to take them back, but I seriously believe there is more to it than that. I feel this is a move by pro European's to delay Article 50 coming to fruition in March 17.

Truthfully, MP's had better watch what they wish for. The people do not like to be betrayed by their MP's. They will know who votes for and against Article 50 going ahead and will hopefully punish them severely if and when the inevitable General Election calls - if this goes the way I am dreading.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2016, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Don't you mean Guy Fawkes???
Nothing to do with the Labour leader.
Flicker
France
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2016, 03:37 PM

SG you make it sound as if the Leavers won by a landslide...
they won by 4%.
And we all know how strange the winners can be when the vote is strung out across the whole population. 5% of the population can elect a whole host of Remainers MP's. It all depends on who lives where.

and I wouldn't discount Scotland and NI who aren't too happy right now. Is there a kind of England uber alles in here?

Page 2 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top