Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2016, 02:28 PM

Re: Let's Have A General Election ASAP!

Originally Posted by Barry ->
An election would just be a distraction, although I agree Mrs May could use a bigger majority for the more domestic agenda I can't see how it would help with Brexit..
I agree Barry and the main achievement if an election were held shortly would be more confusion more delay and that is no good for the economy or any of us. .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2016, 03:03 PM

Was Cameron really unaware of the complications after the vote? My guess is that he knew exactly what would happen.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2016, 03:06 PM

I think Cameron was shocked that he won the Election and didn't expect to have to do what he promised.
He had a very odd look about him when they won.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2016, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I think Cameron was shocked that he won the Election and didn't expect to have to do what he promised.
He had a very odd look about him when they won.
Yes he did, perhaps he realised he might have to work for a living.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2016, 04:53 PM

The fact is that the Tories made a very stupid mistake in the Referendum Bill, they did not include in it a simple statement that the result would be legally binding.

This point was raised on QT last night.
Flicker
France
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2016, 06:35 PM

Cameron was forced into the referendum before the last election when he had to answer to the clamour about immigration etc.

He wanted a poll to put to the issue to bed.

Then along comes the press and starts telling and repeating lies which were easily digested by those who wanted to believe them. Contrary information was pooh poohed as spouted by those who didn't know what they were doing...tho it now seems as if the Leavers didn't know what THEY were doing. and the experts have saved your bacon for a while. No one has mentioned the QE that the BoE pumped into the system at the end of June to prevent a catastrophe.
Farage is still pretending it is all going to be so easy. Of all the liars he is the most long standing and duplicitous. His use of omission and choice of emphasis would do Putin proud.
Did he ever tell you that all EU laws passed must be approved by national parliaments while still in draft form?
No.
He said that the EU imposes laws upon nations.
A LIE!

He went on about the huge membership fee but forgot to mention that in fact after deductions etc is was about half what he said and further, it amounted to less than a tenth of the annual NHS budget
On top of which he then lied about supporting the NHS with the huge savings that would happen.
The press lied about bent cucumbers/bananas (no one now knows which one) because in fact the directive only said the product must conform to common standards. ie no clearly aberrant fruit/veg. Have you ever seen a straight banana???
You can always look up any legislation...it is all explained in a Europa page.
What stirs my soul is that so many...so many people just swallowed this instead of using their brains and checking out the claims!

The EU never touched the sovereignty of any nation state. Each has a voice equal to each other.
The EU has noting to say about
national education systems
health provision (other than to ease cross border provision)
Criminal and civil law outside trade, environmental or transport matters that effect everyone.
Family law including inheritance and terms of adoption, fostering etc.
Social services provision/benefits
issuing of bonds and gilts
issues of national investment both into and out of each country
declaring war or signing treaties (ie what defines a nation state)
spending on military
insurance, banking and services conduct

for a start.

So the press and those with vested interests discuss a very limited range of subjects they can twist, evade, lie about and use as...propaganda.

What do they get out of it?
God knows...better access to power? 5 minutes of fame? (think the failed politicians like IDS or Liam Fox who were constantly overlooked for promotion. IDS was sacked as PM...now he has to turn down interviews for his esteemed opinion. Fame at last!)
(BTW I saw him on the Daily Politics today...STILL telling lies. Some of his "information" was totally incorrect).
The press get financial rewards in sales...headline a story about how awful the EU is and the sales go up because everyone loves to be able to poke fun at Foreigners. Especially if something is going wrong in the UK.

The public doesn't have to be used as pawns...they can do their own research. The choice is theirs.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2016, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

First of all the Judges have not conspired to delay Brexit.

They were asked to give a decision on a point of law, this is what their job is and what they have done.

The fact is that the Tories made a very stupid mistake in the Referendum Bill, they did not include in it a simple statement that the result would be legally binding.

The stupidity of Cameron in this respect is disgusting, it has allowed those who wish to overturn a democratic vote an opening, even if it is just to delay it.

My personal preference is to get a vote in Parliament in a couple of weeks time on a simple proposition, That this House agrees to the implementation of Article 50.

Over, done with and off we go.

No discussion of our aims, no point in giving our hand away and then, and only then, if it does not get through, an Election.
Cameron thought it was a done deal,he always has been flaccid, the very reason he jumpe4d ship at the first opportunity.
Never took to him honestly.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2016, 07:22 PM

Hi

Please. please, no Election in the run up to Christmas.

I couldn't stand it.

Party Political Broadcasts, Boris and Abbott and Corbyn on every night.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2016, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I agree Barry and the main achievement if an election were held shortly would be more confusion more delay and that is no good for the economy or any of us. .
I disagree with Meg.
A snap election just as soon as you like would be such a good thing.
Get that over with ASAP and then the government can get on properly without hinderance to keep the promise that...

BREXIT means BREXIT.

Otherwise the whole thing will just trundle on into months/years of a great big smelly sloppy quagmire mess stirred up by The Remoaners...

Theresa May my Love.
Get on with it and call a General Election ASAP.

Cheers!
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2016, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Please. please, no Election in the run up to Christmas.

I couldn't stand it.

Party Political Broadcasts, Boris and Abbott and Corbyn on every night.
I could stand it Swim.
Lubbly Jubbly!
That could be my Christmas present.
Bring it on!

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top