Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 04:32 PM

Re: So,,,,Germany held back secret EU Military plans during referendum

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
You're upset about the Rugby right?
Couldn't give a rat's rectum about Rugby - but, good try to divert attention from the main plot
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
Rehab, your ignorance of history is understandable.
I'm sure that the realities of enormous "colonial" military sacrifice in support of "the Motherland" is rarely mentioned in British schools.
Well it was mentioned when I was at school .. along with the Canadians, the yanks, the Kiwis ... but more in the spirit of a united coalition.
Not in terms of Australia playing any significant sacrificial role over and above anyone elses... is that how it is portrayed in Aussie schools?
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 04:55 PM

Not at all Arty. You are quite right.

But the context was ....

Originally Posted by realspeed
".... That just leave us (the British) to do the dirty work as usual to win the war ...."
Mate, you neglected to mention the tens of thousands of "colonials" you suck into the fray as cannon-fodder for your incompetent generals.
I used Australia's contribution merely as an example that it wasn't just the British "us".
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 05:04 PM

Couldn't give a rat's rectum about Rugby - but, good try to divert attention from the main plot
Not at all cobbler, I didn't want to get into a tit for tat discussion about 'generalship', who suffered the most, and the way the English lord it over the lesser races, so I tried, obviously in vain, to lighten it up, I think your argument is really with Realspeed
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 05:16 PM

Not wishing to stir up this good humoured (I hope) banter about whether Australia should have come to the aid of the British (and the rest of Europe), but I recall that Japan was expanding southwards too and Australia was threatened by them just as much as Britain was threatened by Germany.

I'd like to think that we were fighting together for our common good.

What I'm leading up to is the present day situation where Britain again is being threatened by another German expansion (under the guise of the EU) and we are, once again, fighting for our liberty - despite many fifth column collaborators within our midst.

My hope is that Australia (and others) will once more come to our aid by agreeing to trade with us to our mutual advantage!
Pumicestone
Australia

05-12-2016, 05:05 AM

I expect that Australia's political leaders will focus more on trade with Asia, JBR.

Nations will always act in their own self-interest and the rapidly growing markets in Indonesia and China (and all points in between) are a 'natural' for our mining, cattle,sheep and grain exports.
Even seafood, fruit and wine are bringing in billions.

Already, tourism into Aus from these places swamps those coming from Europe (including the UK).
The tyranny of distance perhaps.

Touching very briefly on things military (I don't want to get into a bunfight either),
there is a perception here that Britain had little regard for Australia's interests in either WW1 or WW2.
WW1 posed no threat to Aus - but we lost many thousands helping defend Britain. Google Gallipoli.
In WW2, Churchill tried to stop Aus troops from returning home to defend Australia against the Japanese.
And that was after Britain had fled from Singapore and left us to our own devices.

Back to the Topic ?

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top