Join for free
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2017, 05:26 AM

Self-defence for the older person

There comes a time in life when it may be fine to be physically fit and healthy for ones age, but if it came to it would you be able to defend yourself 'adequately' if you were set upon or even confronted in a threatening manner?

It may be okay to be big and strong, but do you have that "natural fighting instinct" to get out of potentially life-threatening situation? Or would you run and hope for the best?

Have you ever thought about some kind of self-defence class just to give you that added self-confidence to help you in a typical situation?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2017, 06:17 AM

Re: Self-defence for the older person

I went to a self defense class that involved using walking sticks, I can't remember any of it.
I'd certainly fight back though if anyone tried anything!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2017, 06:20 AM

Hmm there was the case of the old chap who was mugged in the train he was collecting for some charity.
He drew his walking stick ( it was in fact a sword stick ) and defended himself.
The mugger was injured and the old chap was taken to court for GBH.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2017, 07:50 AM

A big swift Glasgow kiss is more than adequate to defend Myself....sorted
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2017, 08:02 AM

Honestly I wouldn't know what to do , I don't think I have the core strength to fight back but then I guess we don't know till it happens , hopefully not . I think I'd go into shock . Yes I'd go to a class if there was one near by
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2017, 08:18 AM

Hi

Nothing like being smaller than the rest of the kids and being bullied to learn how to look after yourself.

I was at Grammar School when I was 9, a victim of an educational experiment.

It was a Catholic School, very strict rules, short trousers until you were 13, that hurt.

Forget Karate and Judo, go for the experts, you need to learn street fighting.

No, ifs buts or maybes, down they go.

Krav Maga is the thing if you cannot access the real stuff.

You or them, down they go.

The average druggie thug will lose, you have no chance if you ever come up against a trained professional, but you never will in ordinary life.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2017, 08:40 AM

Swims, I notice from this clip that a lot of the defence seems to involve kicking the mugger in his privates.
A lot of women wouldn't be able to do that very easily, as they don't walk about in working boots and steel toe-caps like the man in the video.
How would they manage with just summer sandals or flip-flops I wonder? It'd break their toes.
In fact, I can't imagine many women, especially our ages, having the strength to do any of those moves easily.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2017, 09:17 AM

I was taught a lot of techniques by a Aikido /Judo sansei as part of a warm down after training.

These days i could not use any involving my legs, but still could use some of the others, one thing with using the rollator i no longer have a stick, which i have used once effectively.

As im seen as disabled i feel im marked as a target, so im suspicious of people following behind me.

The best self defense is avoid any potential unsafe situations if you can.

And ladies SD is not always about strength. Timing, tricks and, technique come in to it, but courses can give you confidence and ability to act.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2017, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
I was taught a lot of techniques by a Aikido /Judo sansei as part of a warm down after training.

These days i could not use any involving my legs, but still could use some of the others, one thing with using the rollator i no longer have a stick, which i have used once effectively.

As im seen as disabled i feel im marked as a target, so im suspicious of people following behind me.

The best self defense is avoid any potential unsafe situations if you can.

And ladies SD is not always about strength. Timing, tricks and, technique come in to it, but courses can give you confidence and ability to act.

Trouble is Nom, I would imagine if I was attacked, my instinct would be to try and defend myself, rather than attack the other person. By defending myself I mean trying to fend off blows, knives or whatever. But I am not sure that I would have the thought or inclination to actually go forward and physically attack someone back.

The only circumstance I could imagine I would be likely to do that is if anyone tried to hurt or take my dog. Then I would fly at 'em, I know I would.

I must admit, if someone was standing in my path wielding a kitchen knife, I probably be a dead pretty quick.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2017, 09:36 AM

My problem has always been that I get angry a couple of hours after the event and not at the time. I am glad that guns are not readily available because I would surely have shot a few people in my time and I would now be doing life in Prison.

Self defence classes are good because they train you to remain calm as well as defending yourself. I wish I had taken up self defence when I was younger.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top