Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2018, 08:09 PM

Re: Problem changing gear

It's a Keith Lemonism
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2018, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Kev60 ->
This might sound stupid but did you have the handbrake on while you tried to put your car into gear? As cars get older the gear cog teeth flatten out and catch/jam causing crunching. Just a thought. When the car is moved slightly the gears "go in".
I would have had the handbrake on when I first started the car but while driving it was still awkward to change gear.

Originally Posted by fender ->
As Primus,

Sounds like a clutch issue. Cables can stretch and lower the bite point - not fully disengage the clutch. How many miles on the scar?
Only 75000. I bought the car second hand 2 years ago and have only done about 2300 miles in it.

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Pump the clutch pedal.....as said it may be a stretched cable.
Pumping the pedal can take up the slack if it has an adjustor.
As I said it did clear itself but if it happens again I will try that.

Thanks all
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2018, 08:19 PM

As Tpin said, some have a ratchet system which takes up natural wear, but sometimes the cable is stretched too much or the adjuster doesn't work properly. 75k is low for a clutch to be badly worn, but it does happen. It actually may have righted itself, as the adjuster has now taken up the slack. On some systems the adjuster was not great and only took up the slack when the cable was fairly loose.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2018, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
As Tpin said, some have a ratchet system which takes up natural wear, but sometimes the cable is stretched too much or the adjuster doesn't work properly. 75k is low for a clutch to be badly worn, but it does happen. It actually may have righted itself, as the adjuster has now taken up the slack. On some systems the adjuster was not great and only took up the slack when the cable was fairly loose.
That does sound like a possibility as the fault had completely disappeared after it was parked for an hour and a half while I was having lunch and did some shopping.
Maybe the heat from the exhaust which seems to be right near the adjuster from what photos I've seen on internet helped free up a damp sticky adjuster.

I keep getting told that I don't use the car enough. Had to get new battery already due to lack of charging on short journeys.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2018, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
That does sound like a possibility as the fault had completely disappeared after it was parked for an hour and a half while I was having lunch and did some shopping.
Maybe the heat from the exhaust which seems to be right near the adjuster from what photos I've seen on internet helped free up a damp sticky adjuster.

I keep getting told that I don't use the car enough. Had to get new battery already due to lack of charging on short journeys.
Yeh, cars do like to be used tbh. Standing for a few days though won't affect the clutch. It's not long enough for the friction plates to stick to the flywheel. Get back to us if you get any more issues...
Mondays child
United Kingdom

22-02-2018, 11:09 PM

Thank you for all for the advice.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2018, 03:41 PM

A very old trick that worked with brakes and I can see no reason why not with a clutch peddle. The trick is to wedge the peddle down overnight which forces any air in the system out. This is with hydraulic operations obviously
Cable operated as said the cables do tend to stretch and can often be tightened at one end

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top