Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2018, 11:41 PM

Re: Sugar Tax starts tomorrow.

It would be great if food manufacturers stopped adding so much sugar to savoury foods. But this won't make a jot of difference to that.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2018, 11:41 PM

Anyway I hope diet coke is going to be cheaper then?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2018, 04:43 AM

If they can do it and it cuts calories I'm all for if. So long as you have a choice why not?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2018, 09:16 AM

I don't think the tax on soft drinks will make a lot of difference to obesity, those desperate for soft drinks will find the extra money just as cigarette smokers and alcohol drinkers do when the tax on those items goes up.

I have concerns about people switching to artificial sweeteners too instead of sugar ,there is a growing body of evidence that some of them have an adverse effect on the liver and cause 'inflammation' which is now being implicated as a contributory factor in many health conditions including heart disease.

If people who eat so much processed food started eating food which was more natural it would go some way to eliminating obesity.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2018, 09:21 AM

I am more or less sugar free now, except for "invisible" sugar that's added to foods.

But no cakes, biccies, sweets, fizzy drinks etc. It sticks my adrenaline production up and causes palpitations. Caffeine is out too, just the nicotine to tackle now.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2018, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I don't think the tax on soft drinks will make a lot of difference to obesity, those desperate for soft drinks will find the extra money just as cigarette smokers and alcohol drinkers do when the tax on those items goes up.

I have concerns about people switching to artificial sweeteners too instead of sugar ,there is a growing body of evidence that some of them have an adverse effect on the liver and cause 'inflammation' which is now being implicated as a contributory factor in many health conditions including heart disease.

If people who eat so much processed food started eating food which was more natural it would go some way to eliminating obesity.
Good post Meg.
I think I'd rather eat sugar than artificial sweeteners, sugar is made from natural products, albeit processed to death. But sweeteners are formulated on the bench in a lab with some nasties added. Also, the sweet taste of sugar is highly addictive, by replacing it with another sweet tasting chemical does nothing to address the addictiveness, even if the substance contains no calories, the bodies search for that sweet taste continues.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2018, 10:11 AM

As if 8p will stop anyone buying a can of drink. It will however generate millions for the government. Perhaps they will invest the money into more NHS dentists as they are so concerned about the nations teeth.

Britain's answer to every problem = Tax it!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2018, 11:27 AM

So why has my sugar free squash got 25percent smaller and gone up 10p ? Worlds going mad they are using this to put all prices up IMO
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2018, 08:51 PM

I saw a programme on tele this morning on the amount of sugar thats still in ''sugar free ' food /drinks.It seems there is no such thing as 'sugar free' goods as the government allows a certain amount of sugar to be used in these items.I am shocked ,you buy something maked 'sugar free 'only to find it does contain some sugar

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top