Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 02:53 PM

Emergency alert system

Does anyone here have one of these emergency alert systems in their home that you wear round your neck or on your wrist.
Somebody suggested it to me yesterday to possibly sway my family to accepting me staying in my bungalow.

Are they worth having, do they work ok??

Every time I post these days it's making me sound more and more like a dodery old g*t. I'm only 62 for crying out loud.

Ok yes I'm writing this in bed as today I'm feeling absolutely drained but I believe that's normal.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 03:11 PM

Re: Emergency alert system

My sister has one, she falls down a lot being a drunk.
She presses the button, the people phone my daughter, my daughter goes to see what's wrong. If they can't get hold of my sister by phone if it goes off and my daughter can't go or can't be contacted they phone ambulances etc.
I think that's basically how it works, I try not to get involved
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 03:20 PM

Don't be worrying about how it makes you sound. If its an aid to allow you to stay at home independently then its worth looking into getting one

Have you seen occupational therapy to see what aids they can offer? Your rehab team should be able to advise
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 04:44 PM

My mum had one, I believe it was called Lifeline. She paid something like £15 a month for it. Worked like Tessa explained. Someone used to call periodically to see her and to test the system.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 06:05 PM

MC I have known a few older people who have one and they and their families appreciated the service it gave.

God forbid, but if you had another heart attack I think it is unlikely that you would be up to calling 999 and telling them what had happened.... but you may be able to press a button.

Why not talk to a couple of companies that do this, to get the price and what it supplies, that way you will know what it offers. I am sure your doctor or hospital could recommend a good one.

I know your family are 23 miles away , but perhaps you have somebody more local who would be happy to make sure whether you needed an ambulance.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 07:55 PM

I have 3 friends with these all swear by them and would not be without them,all have used them and help was quick coming.Have you got someone to have a key and come in if you need help ? I used to be key holder for a neighbourand was called several times to help when she pressed hers.One night ,latish,I got a call ,she had pressed but was not answering, I asked another neighbour to go in with me her house was n darkness,she didnt answer when we called, I walked into the room she slept in, she was laying in bed not responding to our calls, but as I switched on the light she suddenly sat up, I dont know who was more frightened her or I, it seems she had presed her alarm in her sleep,so all ended well.LOL
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 08:04 PM

Yes MC, my Mum had one, if she fell down she would press the button and they would come over on a speaker and ask if she needed help, if they couldn't get her to answer them, then they would phone me or my Sister or ring the Ambulance.

Yes it is worth getting.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 08:04 PM

MC, Yes they are good, and you should definitely get it sorted a.s.a.p.

You know in your other thread about help with decorating and Meg suggested AgeUK, well they can also help you with a personal alarm too.
I got my Mum an alarm with them, and they were very efficient. You can have a wrist one (like a watch), or a neck pendant.

Have a read of this:

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/products/mo...rsonal-alarms/
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
Does anyone here have one of these emergency alert systems in their home that you wear round your neck or on your wrist.
Somebody suggested it to me yesterday to possibly sway my family to accepting me staying in my bungalow.

Are they worth having, do they work ok??

Every time I post these days it's making me sound more and more like a dodery old g*t. I'm only 62 for crying out loud.

Ok yes I'm writing this in bed as today I'm feeling absolutely drained but I believe that's normal.

Yes Matey, I have one. As others have said its called life-line some are run by local authorities (as mine is) others are run by organisations like Age UK. Mine costs me £19.00 per month and yes, I would not feel too safe in here without it because I live alone.

There is a down-side to it - you either must have a combination key safe attached to the wall outside your home to allow appropriate emergency services entry should you have a fall or collapse. The alternative is for you to nominate others (family, friends or neighbours) to hold keys to your home to allow access. The only stipulation is that the first nominee must live very close by and contactable by Life-line on the phone to come to your assistance if necessary.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 12:18 PM

I believe my sister-in-law (83) has one, she lives alone now her husband has gone into a nursing home. She has had several falls.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top