Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2018, 07:26 AM

Re: Breast Screening

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Many do not realise.

We need to look after the vulnerable, not criticise them.
Well said, Swimmy.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2018, 07:47 AM

I must be due one soon...you all have me thinking now, I must be one of the daft ones because I have no idea when it's due just sometime soon .
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2018, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Many do not realise.

We need to look after the vulnerable, not criticise them.
I agree with you on that Swimmy! Many of these ladies are perfectly healthy, not vulnerable, so the screening is just to make sure they stay that way
If I knew that, in 3 years time, I would need to have a checkup for some health problem I would assume that some computer system would send me an appointment or remind me to book one. The ladies concerned didn't get either
If the NHS promise to send you an appointment for breast screening, it is their reponsibility to do so & nobody should expect to have to remind them!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2018, 08:56 AM

I'm due a colonoscopy this year, I bet I don't get reminded!
Do your details get sent to screening places if you move house and change doctors, or do you have to do something?
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2018, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
More fool people who don't know when their screening is!
No need for that. I wasn't being funny in my comment just trying to reason why some people might not remember the date of next appointment.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2018, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
No need for that. I wasn't being funny in my comment just trying to reason why some people might not remember the date of next appointment.
People are very unwise if they don't make a note of when their screening are due. It is up to each of us to take responsibility for our own health if we are of sound mind.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2018, 12:40 PM

People are very unwise if they don't make a note of when their screening are due. It is up to each of us to take responsibility for our own health if we are of sound mind.
But that is only your opinion Tara. The NHS decided that screening would be every 3 years, and they did it in the hope of keeping breast cancer treatments to a minimum cost.
I am sure we all applaud this decision, but how easy would it be to make sure your follow up appointments are loaded on to a PC, so a letter could be sent out?
If you have the time to make sure your screening appointments are made on time, then good for you, but it doesn't mean that everybody has that time!
Some ladies have to work, some assist in the care of grand children, some have health problems that make it difficult to remember appointments and when they happened.
Not everybody is as fortunate as you, but that shouldn't mean that they are not eligible for cancer screening, especially when it is the NHS's duty to make these appointments!

I have to have one every year so, when it was due & missed in June last year, I contacted the screening clinic. I was told that, as I was clear the year before, I could wait till next June. At the end of that year my cancer hospital said they should have booked me in immediately. I always check for lumps and I had no intention of arguing with the centre again about my missed appointment, but it will be interesting to see if I get an appointment in the next few weeks!
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2018, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
But that is only your opinion Tara. The NHS decided that screening would be every 3 years, and they did it in the hope of keeping breast cancer treatments to a minimum cost.
I am sure we all applaud this decision, but how easy would it be to make sure your follow up appointments are loaded on to a PC, so a letter could be sent out?
If you have the time to make sure your screening appointments are made on time, then good for you, but it doesn't mean that everybody has that time!
Some ladies have to work, some assist in the care of grand children, some have health problems that make it difficult to remember appointments and when they happened.
Not everybody is as fortunate as you, but that shouldn't mean that they are not eligible for cancer screening, especially when it is the NHS's duty to make these appointments!

I have to have one every year so, when it was due & missed in June last year, I contacted the screening clinic. I was told that, as I was clear the year before, I could wait till next June. At the end of that year my cancer hospital said they should have booked me in immediately. I always check for lumps and I had no intention of arguing with the centre again about my missed appointment, but it will be interesting to see if I get an appointment in the next few weeks!
I have had an extremely busy life but still managed to keep a check on things which were important. Surely one can have a medical file as I do, and keep the documentation from the last appointment so one can check when one is next due for screening.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

05-05-2018, 02:47 PM

I have had an extremely busy life but still managed to keep a check on things which were important. Surely one can have a medical file as I do, and keep the documentation from the last appointment so one can check when one is next due for screening.
As I said, good for you, but you can't criticize others who maybe find that they have more important things to do than check that the NHS is doing it's job properly!
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

05-05-2018, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
As I said, good for you, but you can't criticize others who maybe find that they have more important things to do than check that the NHS is doing it's job properly!
You can't blame the NHS for everything it is overstretched as it is. We are fortunate that it is free at point of need. People are silly if they expect it to be perfect with no screw ups, it is run by humans not robots. Some would start to bleat if the national insurance was put up considerably to pay for it.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top