Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2018, 09:39 PM

Re: Migraine Triggers

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Bloody 'ell Blue, you poor thing! Such a lot, I don't know how you cope.

Yes, menstruation was a trigger with me, but not every month.

So are yours triggers on triggers rather changing triggers? if you get what I mean
I have had a very hard life Pesta. When I worked and made good money, I could afford the medication. Zomig or Imitrex worked well for me. Now I would never pay $12.00 each pill (needing two for every migraine)...I would just go to bed and wait for it to pass...
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2018, 09:49 PM

I suffered from primary school till around 5 years ago.

During most of my life it was food triggers, cheese, chocolate, MSG - the usual culprits , then as I got older it became smells

Perfume, make up, cooking smells would set me off

Thankfully I think Ive finally grown out of them, the last one I had must have been 2 years ago and even that one I was still able to function. During my younger years I might have been confined to a cool dark room for up to three days waiting for one to pass
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2018, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
I suffered from primary school till around 5 years ago.

During most of my life it was food triggers, cheese, chocolate, MSG - the usual culprits , then as I got older it became smells

Perfume, make up, cooking smells would set me off

Thankfully I think Ive finally grown out of them, the last one I had must have been 2 years ago and even that one I was still able to function. During my younger years I might have been confined to a cool dark room for up to three days waiting for one to pass
Oh yes, I'd forgotten about smells.
I remember a boyfriend and I were trying out a car he was thinking of buying (2nd hand) and the smell of the cleaning fluids set me off... it was a Mazda

Now smells tend to set my sinuses off and chest rather than instigate a migraine though. Much the same as moulds, some conifers, rotting leaves and damp in woods and forests
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2018, 10:30 PM

Heavens you poor things...I once had what the doctor called cluster migraines.
They came out of the blue, and lasted anything up to 8 hours.
I'd never experienced anything like it, thought my brain was going to explode...
I had six of these brutes in about a 10week stretch of time.
Totally incapacitated me each time.

Then someone recommended a Cranial Osteopath.
I saw him a few times for treatments...the migraines never returned.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2018, 10:46 PM

I must look into that ruthio. After I get some of my other "challenges" under control, haha...life is not fair....hahaha
Thanks for your input. I heard of cluster headaches. I heard they were worse than migraine...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2018, 11:23 PM

I have never had migraine.

That is until a few days ago.

On two consecutive days, and again a couple of days later, I woke with a headache that I have never experienced before.

This wasn't like what others have described: flashing lights, zig-zags, etc. However, when I read up on Google, it sounded very much like some forms of migraine: quite a sharp pain behind my left eye, radiating backwards a short way. Fortunately, the pain stopped soon after I got up.

Perhaps it wasn't migraine, I don't know.

The 'trigger': well, waking up I suppose!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2018, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I have never had migraine.

That is until a few days ago.

On two consecutive days, and again a couple of days later, I woke with a headache that I have never experienced before.

This wasn't like what others have described: flashing lights, zig-zags, etc. However, when I read up on Google, it sounded very much like some forms of migraine: quite a sharp pain behind my left eye, radiating backwards a short way. Fortunately, the pain stopped soon after I got up.

Perhaps it wasn't migraine, I don't know.

The 'trigger': well, waking up I suppose!
I also used to get a similar thing. My problem was that I would wake up with a headache (sometimes a pain behind the eye) and it would last all day, until I woke up the following morning. I have always put it down to laying awkwardly in bed. It would also make me feel a bit sick for the whole day. I never suffered from flashes or anything and wasn't aware of any triggers.

Like you JBR, I'm not sure if they were migraines or not. Haven't had one for a while now.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2018, 07:43 AM

I'm not sure if I got full on migraines but I had the zigzag lines and dots like snow along with bad headaches, thankfully I don't get them now (fingers crossed) I have no idea what triggered them but I think they must have been stess related from when I worked. I do get headaches now in oppressive weather .
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2018, 10:02 AM

Snap! to others with identical symptoms! Luckily, l haven’t had one for a while!

I used to get them, sometimes three days in a row but no headache. Just the scary but beautiful coloured zig zags jumping in the corner of my eye and circle type things swimming across my eyes.
My sight would alter and l could only see three quarters of people’s faces.

I usually got them after worrying about something. Cheese and chocolate eaten in close proximity, additives in food would also trigger them. Early morning bright sun, flashing camera lights and strobe lighting would trigger them too.

The first time, l got one was when l was in my thirties and l thought l was having a stroke.

Getting them whilst driving and finding somewhere to stop quickly, is scary too.

I found taking Paracetamol straight away, stopped mine and it was gone in about 15-20 minutes.

I did wonder if they could damage your brain but the doctor said, no!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2018, 06:46 AM

I occasionally get the visual disturbances of dots, (rarely) being unable to focus on letters and nausea, together with a feeling of a dull pressure ache in the left side of the head around the eye. But the worst thing is just the general malaise. Can't bear being in a noisy supermarket or in a crowd when it happens. Every noise is painful. Light sensitivity is another symptom.

I am sure they are set off by additives in food so processed food seems to be bad. Mine used to be set off by gluten so I don't eat that. May also be linked to the weather. Can air pressure set them off?

https://blog.themigrainereliefcenter...u-need-to-know

The most recent time I felt really ill with this was when I was travelling and we were going from high to low altitudes. Although I was ok on a plane so go figure.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top