Join for free
Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 06:20 PM

Re: Do you consider yourself intelligent.

I agree there are many types of intelligence, some of the greatest academics lack any degree of practical skill, yet some with the greatest practical skills which require a great deal of intelligence wouldn't have a clue about academic subjects. Personally I have great practical skills, which day to day I find much more valuable than theoretical physics..
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I class intelligence as being able to judge people's characters, be able to control your own lifestyle without others having to do it for you, be able to read and write in a basic sense and have some kind of practical common sense.

When I look at quiz contestants on Eggheads or The Chase who are 20 years old and have diplomas and degrees up the ying yang but know nothing about life, I turn it off. They are never going to win the game. They might be able to tell you the matrix of an algebraic logarithm (whatever that means) or wave their placards at some Labour councillor but they don't even know who Pink Floyd are and they can't wire a plug. No life experience, and that's how you amass intelligence - you gain it living your life and endure what happens all around you.

Am I intelligent? In some ways I guess I am.
I like to think that I'm good at certain things without being naturally gifted in any department (except maybe that one, but that's just how I was born).
I think you are spot on Floydy. I have met many people with degrees that are good at maybe one thing but lack common sense in everything else.

MENSA members are great at working out a number sequence but don't know how to fry an egg.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Ok! Nelly Knowall!

I didn’t say they were unintelligent at all!! I meant, some very intelligent people aren’t practical in some basic things.
And I thought I was agreeing with you!

I think we're all saying the same things in slightly different ways...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 06:31 PM

I'm just excellent at everything.... as you all now.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 06:32 PM

I've never seen the point in Mensa and never considered joining.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 06:50 PM

I am in agreement about multiple intelligences, and also agree that intelligence, as it is measured on IQ tests, is not a guarantee of well-rounded success.

As for me, I tend to be interested in everything and a hard little worker.

The gaps I have in my knowledge and skills are like hunger pangs that I am forever trying to feed.

Intelligent? I dunno
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 06:55 PM

All this talk of intelligence though, I don't think there is any way around it, and it isn't very PC but some people are just thick.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 06:59 PM

Good old fashioned common sense works for Me every time...There are a few academics in My Family with letters after Their Names who make Me guffaw at times at how little They know about every day things...but...I don't have much of a clue about things They know about either...it all works out even in the end.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

17-05-2018, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
All this talk of intelligence though, I don't think there is any way around it, and it isn't very PC but some people are just thick.
And it seems to be getting worse.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
Good old fashioned common sense works for Me every time...There are a few academics in My Family with letters after Their Names who make Me guffaw at times at how little They know about every day things...but...I don't have much of a clue about things They know about either...it all works out even in the end.
Exactly! As a species that thrives on specialization within the division of labor, we have to have the whole spectrum to get things done and make life - interesting.

Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top