Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 08:06 AM

Re: Our garden in progress

A big garden with plenty of scope for planning Lion Queen. Giving the bottom area over to vegetables could mean lots of hard work but the fresh veg would be a good reward your efforts.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Wow that sounds great. I don't have much space left in the garden now but I am interested in growing some veggies. I would imagine that the raised beds makes life a lot easier and keeps them all together.
LD I don't grow a lot of each thing, there is only me here . I just have 2 raised beds 5m long and meter wide but they are quite deep and full of good soil and compost built up over the years. I also have some long troughs for strawberries and salad items. I used to grow tomatoes but don't bother now, the locally grown ones are lovely.

The soil in my garden is heavy clay, the raised beds gave me the opportunity to have a good depth of quality soil enabling me to grow more things with ease.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 09:36 AM

Raised beds are definitely a great way of growing crops, I too have used them for many years for all the reasons that others have said, but if you do decide to give them a try then be sure to site them somewhere sunny...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
LD I don't grow a lot of each thing, there is only me here . I just have 2 raised beds 5m long and meter wide but they are quite deep and full of good soil and compost built up over the years. I also have some long troughs for strawberries and salad items. I used to grow tomatoes but don't bother now, the locally grown ones are lovely.

The soil in my garden is heavy clay, the raised beds gave me the opportunity to have a good depth of quality soil enabling me to grow more things with ease.
Sounds great Meg.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Raised beds are definitely a great way of growing crops, I too have used them for many years for all the reasons that others have said, but if you do decide to give them a try then be sure to site them somewhere sunny...
I think I have used up all the sunny bits now, unless I put one in the middle of the lawn.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I think I have used up all the sunny bits now, unless I put one in the middle of the lawn.
Makes a great feature in any lawn....
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
There's a couple (teachers) at school....early 40s ish
She is severely diabetic (but blonde and voluptuous and so into the Brontés she is as if from another era!)
He is drop dead gorgeous (typical brooding dark Celt looks) and follows her around like a love sick puppy

He grows their vegetables for her benefit (everyone say awwww!) and last year I was invited to a meal at their house.
I'm not kidding you...
I have NEVER tasted vegetables like them!
We have all become used to supermarket veg that has travelled miles, so never tastes as good! I can't think of anything nicer than eating veg that has been plucked from the garden just a couple of hours before cooking.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top