Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 11:11 PM

Re: Do you remember having to be quiet in the library?

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Libraries are just children's playgrounds now. Some of them have groups of kids singing songs. Our local library moved last year to a new building. there are now half the amount of books and more space for children's activities, Can't parents teach their kids at home instead?
Guaranteed to keep people out rather than encourage them to come in. I don't use our Public Library anymore - it is a mess. Prefer to make the longer journey across town to the University.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 11:24 PM

Yes, I remember those days Ffosse, especially when they didn't have that many computers, mostly reading books. I still love to read books.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 06:17 AM

I can remember going to the library on Saturday mornings as a child. There used to be a room there where men went that had dark wooden tables where you could read newspapers. I have always loved reading for pleasure but dont seem to have had the time these days but do listen to audio books on YouTube quite a bit. I wonder if listening instead of reading is for the company of anothers voice?
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
I can remember going to the library on Saturday mornings as a child. There used to be a room there where men went that had dark wooden tables where you could read newspapers. I have always loved reading for pleasure but dont seem to have had the time these days but do listen to audio books on YouTube quite a bit. I wonder if listening instead of reading is for the company of anothers voice?
Most probably MC, my husband used to listen to audio books in the car on his long drive to work. I must tell him there are audio books on YouTube, I didn't know that.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Leia ->
Most probably MC, my husband used to listen to audio books in the car on his long drive to work. I must tell him there are audio books on YouTube, I didn't know that.
LOL - Imagine people watching YouTube while driving to work? Sorry, Leia, just a daft image that came to mind - I am sure Monty Python could make something of it!

I didn't know YouTube did audiobooks either - must go and investigte
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

23-05-2018, 08:51 AM

Leia - just been to look and there are lots - good selection as well !
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 10:39 AM

I haven't been to a library for many years, I have all my books loaded onto my Kindle.
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
LOL - Imagine people watching YouTube while driving to work? Sorry, Leia, just a daft image that came to mind - I am sure Monty Python could make something of it!

I didn't know YouTube did audiobooks either - must go and investigte
It does seem surreal to be able to watch audiobooks on YouTube I agree...but not while you're driving though

Hubby hasn't been able to work for the last five years. He listens to music on YouTube so he's sure to enjoy the audiobooks.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 01:21 PM

With the advent of computers and the internet, libraries are becoming less and less relevant especially for reference work. You are much more likely to find your answers using Google than in a reference library, and I think this is reflected by the fact that (from what I hear) libraries now provide the use of computers as much as books.

For that reason, it is many years since I last set foot in a library and in those days people certainly showed decorum and respect for others.

I am seriously shocked by what people here are reporting about the state of libraries today. What is happening to British society?
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 01:52 PM

From what I have heard the funding for libraries has been drastically reduced leading to less money spent on books and staff. Like all public amenities these days they need to be used wisely. If it means that by having a coffee bar and places to encourage mums to bring children in cannot be all bad if it means the library stays open. Yes there should be quiet ares for people who want to study or just read in peace and quiet.

Too many building these days are not fully utilised. Take Churches for instance. When I was a church goer our minister wanted the church to become the hub of the community serving several purposes, not just a big empty building used on sundays for a couple of dozen people to attend a service.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top