Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2016, 04:17 PM

Re: Some healthy eating ideas.

Originally Posted by Missy ->
This is why I cook from fresh every day

I've been hypertensive since my 20's and at times hospitalised a couple of times because it was so high. Talk about a bland diet ahead of me if I'd carried on with the way I was eating

A saxo pot of salt lasts me ( family of 3 ) around two years. A little salt to enhance food is good as long as I'm not loading up on processed foods where it's hidden in vast quantities in foods you wouldn't be aware of

Now and then we cheat and get a take away, and we suffer greatly. Chinese and pizza are the worst culprits , I can feel my tongue burn and the thirst for the next 24 hrs is unbelievable

I cook Chinese and pizza at home. No salt at all added to Chinese , a wee dash of soy ( much less then recipe says) and a scant half teaspoon in enough dough to make 6 pizzas

A favourite 'meal out' will be breakfast on a busy Saturday. Neither of us take the sausage or bacon now because they are just too salty for our tastebuds.
I make a lot of homemade pizzas, but I don't do Chinese at home for the simple reason it NEVER turns out tasting like what you get in a Chinese restaurant.

As for the talk about salt raising blood pressure, that also happens because of water retention. Salt causes your body to retain water which subsequently raises your blood pressure.

They're thinking the whole 'war on salt' thing, however, has been greatly over-exaggerated for many years. That's not what I'm saying, that's just what I've heard.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2016, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->

As for the talk about salt raising blood pressure, that also happens because of water retention. Salt causes your body to retain water which subsequently raises your blood pressure
But why and how ... That is the question.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2016, 04:22 PM

I'm not a fan on war on anything but salt can interact with other medications it's worth speaking to your pharmacist if you take medications to see if salt is safe.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2016, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
Thanks Julie, but I do know hence me asking the question.
Here you are Malcolm one version though I don't think you are that interested really
http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/micro...d/Saltseffects
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2016, 04:31 PM

But why and how ... That is the question.
Don't know, I'm not a scientist or a doctor. All I know is if I eat a meal high in sodium, I have to drink lots of extra water or my body will retain water and I'll get all puffy.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2016, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Here you are Malcolm one version though I don't think you are that interested really
http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/micro...d/Saltseffects
Thank you Meg, I found that very informative, and am a lot wiser now.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2016, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
I make a lot of homemade pizzas, but I don't do Chinese at home for the simple reason it NEVER turns out tasting like what you get in a Chinese restaurant.

As for the talk about salt raising blood pressure, that also happens because of water retention. Salt causes your body to retain water which subsequently raises your blood pressure.

They're thinking the whole 'war on salt' thing, however, has been greatly over-exaggerated for many years. That's not what I'm saying, that's just what I've heard.

The thing is, Chinese food doesn't taste like that of the Chinese take away. That is usually high fat, high salt and high sugar

The first Chinese cook book I got was the Ken Holm one ( actually is my Chinese bible). Now the recipes in that are ones he grew up eating living in a Chinese household in America. Some dishes are like what we know from the local takeaway, others are completely different, much lighter and fresher

All his recipes are easy peasy, just ignore his '1/2 teaspoon of salt ' in nearly every recipe

I'm not waging a war on salt, just need to keep mine and mums low( both hypertensive) and because of that normal processed foods just taste too salty for us

When working as a professional cook for the past 10 years, I'd often have to ask someone else to test a sauce or soup for seasoning, they would always add more salt
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK

18-11-2016, 06:58 PM

I do a lot of Chinese cooking and mine always look and taste like a Chinese takeaway.
I take great care with marinades and sauce additions and always add spices sparingly.
I add soy sauce to most dishes and fish sauce and rice wine or vinegar to some and always add salt, pepper sugar five-spice and a generous sprinkling of MSG to the finished result.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2016, 07:06 PM

I do a lot of Chinese cooking and mine always look and taste like a Chinese takeaway.
Malcolm I have seen many chinese take aways from many places (my girls in the boarding school used to order them regularly ) and I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole

Heaven know what was in them rat possibly,
If your meals look like that heaven help you
Linda0818
USA

18-11-2016, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
The thing is, Chinese food doesn't taste like that of the Chinese take away. That is usually high fat, high salt and high sugar

The first Chinese cook book I got was the Ken Holm one ( actually is my Chinese bible). Now the recipes in that are ones he grew up eating living in a Chinese household in America. Some dishes are like what we know from the local takeaway, others are completely different, much lighter and fresher

All his recipes are easy peasy, just ignore his '1/2 teaspoon of salt ' in nearly every recipe

I'm not waging a war on salt, just need to keep mine and mums low( both hypertensive) and because of that normal processed foods just taste too salty for us

When working as a professional cook for the past 10 years, I'd often have to ask someone else to test a sauce or soup for seasoning, they would always add more salt
We have your basic Chinese restaurants and authentic Cantonese restaurants and they are worlds apart. The Chinese food we eat here would never be in found in China.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top