Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2016, 07:58 PM

Some healthy eating ideas.

I have just discovered Kikkoman make a low salt Soy Sauce, great for putting on healthy stir fry vegetables and noodles.

It also tastes lovely on watercress , I always have a stack on the side with a stir fry.

Please add any healthy eating ideas
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2016, 08:25 PM

Re: Some healthy eating ideas.

Hi

I always spray my oil in the pan or wok, you use much less that way.

I also spray my homemade wedges.

Look at them on ebay, pump oil sprays.

You can also flavour the oil with herbs.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2016, 09:26 AM

I use dark soy sauce, in equal portions with Worcestershire sauce & Balsamic vinegar to make a marinade for rich meats prior to cooking in the slow cooker.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2016, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I have just discovered Kikkoman make a low salt Soy Sauce, great for putting on healthy stir fry vegetables and noodles.

Please add any healthy eating ideas
I'm afraid research demonstrates that Soy is very far from being healthy. It should not be consumed in any quantity and really only then after it has been long fermented. As with so many things in Nature, fermentation is the key. Real breads are long fermented using natural wild yeast, vegetables can be long fermented to create things like Saurkraut, apples can be fermented to make cider and so on.

Soy has been touted as a healthy food for years which we can eat instead of meat. This has been a ploy of Soy manufacturers of course.

Soy is higher in phytoestrogens than just about any other food source. Phytoestrogens are plant-based estrogens that mimic estrogen in our bodies. They are a leading cause of breast cancer, endometriosis, uterine fibroids, infertility, and low libido is unopposed estrogen, or estrogen dominance

An infant taking the recommended amount of soy formula is consuming a hormone load equivalent of 4 birth control pills a day!

Worth reading up on Soy.

http://www.foodrenegade.com/dangers-of-soy/

http://thedeliciousrevolution.com/cl...why-avoid-soy/
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2016, 05:43 PM

Realist I don't really want a lecture on the evils of eating soy thank you

When I am being virtuous and avoiding meat in favour of a large plate of stir fried organic vegetables, a little soy sauce makes it more interesting.

Having only just discovered a low salt version of soy sauce I thought I would mention it for those who are prepared to risk the evils of soy
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

17-11-2016, 06:19 PM

**Please do not discuss the running of the site in threads.
Off topic posts about the running of the site moved to feedback for the attention of Admin.
Thank you
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2016, 06:32 PM

The whole point of soy sauce is that it is salty, it has virtually no taste of its own....so what could possibly be the advantage of a low salt version.
It is just as big a con as organic vegetables !
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2016, 07:58 PM

For me healthy eating means eating food as close to the natural product as possible

Butter, full fat milk, cheese, red meat, veggies, lard

The less processed the better in my book

One thing with stir fry , add a dash of water if it looks dry instead of more salt/sugar laden sauces
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2016, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
For me healthy eating means eating food as close to the natural product as possible

Butter, full fat milk, cheese, red meat, veggies, lard

The less processed the better in my book
Totally agree.

Sadly the supermarket shelves are filled with bad versions of such products. Good old raw milk is now hard to come by. The processed crap (even full fat) has already had all its goodness heat blasted away.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2016, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
The whole point of soy sauce is that it is salty, it has virtually no taste of its own....so what could possibly be the advantage of a low salt version.
It is just as big a con as organic vegetables !
I've tried low-sodium soy sauce and it just doesn't do the job of regular soy. In fact, we use Yamasa. A tiny little bit goes a long way and has a very distinctive flavor (it's used in many Japanese restaurants) as opposed to tasting like salted water. Wonderful stuff and probably has 10,000 mg of sodium per teaspoon, but it's worth it

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top