Join for free
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2017, 08:51 AM

Fasting diet regenerates diabetic organ

This was on the BBC news this morning........... Is this the 2 - 5 diet? It suggests people have five days on a low calorie, low protein, low carbohydrate but high unsaturated-fat diet.
Then they have 25 days eating what they want - so overall it mimics periods of feast and famine.

I know the 2 - 5 diet claims success with reversing diabetes.....but 5 continuous days on 500 calories would be pretty hard!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2017, 09:20 AM

Re: Fasting diet regenerates diabetic organ

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
This was on the BBC news this morning........... Is this the 2 - 5 diet? It suggests people have five days on a low calorie, low protein, low carbohydrate but high unsaturated-fat diet.
Then they have 25 days eating what they want - so overall it mimics periods of feast and famine.

I know the 2 - 5 diet claims success with reversing diabetes.....but 5 continuous days on 500 calories would be pretty hard!

Bugger that for a game of soldiers I'd starve !!!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2017, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->

No Lindy it's not the 2-5 diet.
The 2-5 diet suggests that for two days per week you abstain from your normal eating pattern by only consuming [I think] 500 calories for a woman and 800 calories for a man. The remaining five days should be eating as normal.
Incidentally, the two fasting days should not be consecutive.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2017, 02:37 PM

You're correct Foxy. I have a couple of books on the 5 : 2 diet, quiet interesting actually. She writes in a nice easy to understand way and a lot of it makes sense to me.
I lost 1st 2lbs on it last year and have more or less kept it off.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2017, 06:50 PM

The key here is to try to get to the original publication-it could,it shows potential,mice were tested, Sorry guys been there. I`m rather cynical these days
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2017, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
You're correct Foxy. I have a couple of books on the 5 : 2 diet, quiet interesting actually. She writes in a nice easy to understand way and a lot of it makes sense to me.
I lost 1st 2lbs on it last year and have more or less kept it off.
Although not a fan of diets (because most people put the weight back on due to an odd phenomenon) I did a variation of 5:2 to kick start a lifestyle change wich I have continued.

Like Mups I lost some weight a year ago and have not put it back on in spite of being less active in the winter.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2017, 09:19 PM

I think it does our tummy's good to give them a little time to rest occasionally Meg.
Many years ago, I used to fast my dogs one day a week too.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2017, 09:20 PM

Well done Mups and Meg... I think losing weight is as much a frame of mind as much as a good diet.....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2017, 09:53 PM

I heard about this quite some time ago.

At that time, it was mentioned that this would only be effective for newly diagnosed diabetics.

So that lets me out then.

So I can go on stuffing myself!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top