Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 06:03 PM

Re: Holiday scheme or scam?

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
You could try, nothing ventured, but good luck, i am sorry to hear of your plight, the bastards shouil be hung.
So should I for being such an idiot!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
I found this,,,
Hmm, interesting Rehab. I recently tried this for a car hire which was pre-paid and the company ceased trading before the hire date. I was told that using a debit card was just like writing a cheque, when it is cashed there is no comeback so I had no redress...
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 06:16 PM

Floydy

I do feel for you being caught out and sure as hell it won't happen again to you. My wife and I nearly fell for a similar scam as I have already posted.

Like all tricksters they generally work just within the country's laws, even here in the UK.

an example is what a person I knew well did, he sold half bras on the internet. Women bought them as they were cheaper than anywhere else. yes they were half bras either left cup or right cup as he cut them in half.
Totally legal believe it or not ,not even misleading adverts trading standards couldn't touch him.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Hmm, interesting Rehab. I recently tried this for a car hire which was pre-paid and the company ceased trading before the hire date. I was told that using a debit card was just like writing a cheque, when it is cashed there is no comeback so I had no redress...
Barry, it the company has gone into liquidation, owing to lack of money, there are strict rules on who gets any money from their assets. I think outstanding wages come first but I cant remember the priority of rest of the their debts. I have a feeling that people who have purchased goods or services come close to the bottom..... and there is usually no money left to pay them!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Barry, it the company has gone into liquidation, owing to lack of money, there are strict rules on who gets any money from their assets. I think outstanding wages come first but I cant remember the priority of rest of the their debts. I have a feeling that people who have purchased goods or services come close to the bottom..... and there is usually no money left to pay them!
That was my understanding Twink, but Rehab was implying the card issuer was also liable for the bad debt, which I had been informed wasn't the case...
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 07:04 PM

I hope all works out well for you Floydy .

Just an added extra , a few years ago two friends were invited to a hotel to listen to a talk on timeshare , it stated on the paperwork they would have a free weekend away in the lake district just by attending the so called seminar . My two friends went , leaving all debit and credit cards at home , they sat through the hard sell and tremendous pressure to sign up for timeshare and her husband said , I'm here for the free holiday , over and over again , they had been fed and well watered yet the pressure continued , again and again he said I'm here for the free weekend holiday , guess what , they got there free holiday too in a nice cottage .

He told them at the end of the day he had no cards on him , I expect they were not too happy . Clever though

Hope things work out for you Floydy , I so hate scammers and con artists
Tartlet
UK
Tartlet is female  Tartlet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Debit card has no protection, it has to be a credit card such as Mastercard, Amex etc.
I don't think that's strictly true. Debit cards aren't covered by the same legislation as credit cards but this article which mentions chargeback protection for debit cards is worth a read.

http://www.money.co.uk/current-accou...edit-cards.htm
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 07:26 PM

I still think it is worth taking legal advice Floydy and Citizens Advice is free.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 09:53 PM

Oh dear Floydy.... Can't add anything else here, except I do hope it all works out.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2017, 12:01 AM

Thanks all.
I'll keep this thread open and let you know of any further developments.
I'm thinking of contacting Watchdog and certainly Trip Advisor - see what they say about all this.

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top