Join for free
Page 33 of 35 « First < 23 31 32 33 34 35 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2013, 12:14 PM

Re: Same Sex Marriages.

Originally Posted by youngatart ->
still going? proves this topic is a big one. So divisive or in this case brings people together?
From what I've seen youngatart, it's a case of never the twain shall meet - for a while anyway
mothballs
england
mothballs is female 

11-06-2013, 05:16 PM

Look on the bright side ... the art of conversation is not dead. We proved that ... if nothing else.
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2013, 08:25 AM

I like the attitude of Danny DeVitos' character, Frank, in Its Always Sunny in Philidelphia "Who cares about gay marriage? If they want to be miserable like the rest of us, let 'em. No skin of my nose"
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2013, 10:17 AM

Oh so very true maggis and that made me chuckle de Vito comes out with some corkers doesn't he
Markey
Kent, UK
Markey is female  Markey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2013, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
The trouble is for me it's a simple case of equality and treating others as I would want to be treated, when we make anti discrimination laws I have never seen any with exceptions, little enclaves of society who can ignore them. Either they are for all or for none.

We have a way to go to be as equal and accepting as Markey seems to see us, gay bashing happens, goth bashing happens, anyone daring to be different walks a dangerous path and instead of getting easier for them it is now bringing in other different people, disabled are having a hard time, old people being bashed. All because they are different and vulnerable.
I was trying to find the similarity between being homosexual and being a Goth. Surely being a Goth is a personal choice? I know very little about Goths and was interested to read

"Goth Culture is basically indefinable, because "Goth" means different things to each follower. Many adopt unusual fashions in order to separate themselves from other youth
It is up to the individual to define what Goth is for themselves ... The mentality is, 'I want to be left alone but I want to be seen. I want to see the shock on other peoples' faces.
Some factors that are commonly observed are:
· Its unique music, art and literature.
· The use of extreme black clothing, light coloured makeup, unusual hair styles, body piercing, bondage items, etc.
· A fascination with medieval, Victorian and Edwardian history.
· Wearing of symbols such as a Christian cross; an Egyptian ankh or "Eye of Ra," or "Eye of Horus;" a Wiccan pentacle, a Satanic inverted pentacle. etc. 14
· Goths tend to be non-violent, pacifistic, passive, and tolerant
o Many Goths write about being depressed. Followers seem sullen and withdrawn, when in public. They are often much more "happy and carefree in the company of [other] Goths." 1
o Researcher Jasin Tamlin comments: "If you take a look at the 640 sites that are listed on the Gothic Web Ring, you will find many of them filled with desperation, depression, anger, hatred, despair and angst."
· A lot of people turn to the Gothic subculture after having a hard time in school, feeling alienated, and looking for a way to express themselves that mirrors those feelings. Others find the scene through literature, still others want to be shocking."

mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

12-06-2013, 12:32 PM

seen any applications for gothic only marriages lately?
Markey
Kent, UK
Markey is female  Markey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2013, 12:41 PM

Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2013, 12:50 PM

Well of course there is no connection, I was using it to illustrate how dangerous it is to be different from the norm. Why is it everything said is taken so literally can we not illustrate points using things unconnected with the subject ?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2013, 12:56 PM

I got your drift gal so .........YES
Markey
Kent, UK

12-06-2013, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Well of course there is no connection, I was using it to illustrate how dangerous it is to be different from the norm. Why is it everything said is taken so literally can we not illustrate points using things unconnected with the subject ?
Yes, of course we can.

I was just mulling over the thought that people don't choose to be homosexual. They're born that way.

People do choose to be Goffs. I didn't know anything about Goffs until I spent some time googling around today. I don't know whether it's dangerous or not dangerous to be a Goff. But I do know that being a Goff is a lifestyle choice.

Page 33 of 35 « First < 23 31 32 33 34 35 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top