Join for free
Page 311 of 1010 « First < 211 261 301 309 310 311 312 313 321 361 411 811 > Last »
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2013, 05:29 PM

Re: What are you having for lunch/dinner?

Hi Julie,

Do you have any simple veggie meals that my Mother-in-Law who is 89 can make, as she has decided not to eat any more meat after the Horsemeat scare.

Susie xx
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2013, 05:55 PM

Sticking my twopennoth in here I think a lot of us are thinking twice about eating meat. For me it was watching lambs being slaughtered on the River Cottage Programme, yes I did know that a lamb had to die for me to eat lamb chops but seeing it was different.

Most of the supermarkets have Quorn in their chillers and freezers now mostly on special offers and you can buy meatless sausages, chicken, lamb I have already amazed hubs with the sausages which I put into beef gravy with onions and the 'chicken' pieces make a great stir fry. With the lamb I made a shepherds pie and didn't notice the difference. I have discovered that you need to use some very strong tasting gravy as the Quorn is not really meat and can also be dry. You don't have to stop cooking your favourites they even do mince which you can make you favourite mince dish with.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2013, 06:35 PM

I make a lot of traditional English food using quorn mince instead or beef or lamb, I also buy quite a lot of Linda Macartney foods her rosemary sausages are even nicer my husband reckons than pork ones.

I also eat a lot of cauliflower cheese/macaroni cheese/spring vegetables in a cheese sauce baked in the oven with a crispy bread crumb top.

There are loads of meat look alike stuff in the chiller and freezer sections in the supermarkets. I think tesco and sainsburys have the biggest selections.

Loads of inspiration on the BBC site too http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search.do...rds=vegetarian

Hope that helps.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2013, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Hi Julie,

Do you have any simple veggie meals that my Mother-in-Law who is 89 can make, as she has decided not to eat any more meat after the Horsemeat scare.

Susie xx

Susie darlin' your Mum doesn't need to eliminate meat from her diet merely because the supermarkets tried to scam us with horse meat instead of beef. I've (knowingly) eaten horse meat previously (when I was on holiday in France many, many years ago) and I'm still here to tell the tale. As you already know - I eat a lot of what others would call 'strange' meats which my butcher gets and sells. In my freexer at this very moment I have a crocodile steak, two Ostrich steak, and several kangaroo steaks. Previously I've eaten Buffalo, Camel, Eland, Kudu, Wildebeeste, and even Zebra.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2013, 08:46 AM

Well there is a big difference to eating horse voluntarily and being duped into eating horse laced with bute. If the members mum is uneasy eating meat then she may well be happier with a vegetarian diet.

I don't think that unease is unwarranted even my meat eater had a wobble when it all came out and has changed his meat eating habits a bit.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2013, 10:31 AM

Morning all. Uncle Joe when you get to that age and you don't want to cook any way, it's a bit different, my Mother-in-Law listens to the News all day long and scares the life out of herself, but she won't listen to anything you say to her, so it's best to just let her get on with what she wants to do.

Lunchtime today we are having Salmon Salad and tonight we are having Lambs Liver, Mash & Peas.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

15-04-2013, 10:42 AM

Ready meals here today not sure what yet but could be a curry for meat eater I think.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2013, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Morning all. Uncle Joe when you get to that age and you don't want to cook any way, it's a bit different, my Mother-in-Law listens to the News all day long and scares the life out of herself, but she won't listen to anything you say to her, so it's best to just let her get on with what she wants to do.

Lunchtime today we are having Salmon Salad and tonight we are having Lambs Liver, Mash & Peas.

Susie darlin' - irrespective of age, would NEVER give up cooking a proper meal for myself with meat.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

15-04-2013, 01:20 PM

You cannot possible say that with any certainty, my Gran gave up cooking in her later years due to being too unsteady on her feet and a real danger in the kitchen. Not saying it happens to everyone but not everyone is lucky enough to escape that, also some people's appetites just go - that happened to several of my relatives as they passed the age of 85.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2013, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
You cannot possible say that with any certainty, my Gran gave up cooking in her later years due to being too unsteady on her feet and a real danger in the kitchen. Not saying it happens to everyone but not everyone is lucky enough to escape that, also some people's appetites just go - that happened to several of my relatives as they passed the age of 85.
My mother in law hears the news and scares herself silly too. She is a lady who didn't like and was never good at cooking (according to my hubs her son). She has just been introduced to a food delivery service. She chooses what meals she wants from a large menu and they deliver them to her freezer and she then just pops what she fancies in the microwave.

This service is well worth the money as you can get most anything you like, you could if you wished have a three course meal but mother has a tiny appetite so she has about seven small main meals delivered and a couple of desserts just incase she fancies them.

Mother in law is very picky and won't eat soooooooo many things that I was surprised that she actually enjoys her meals as the choice is very large.

I can't remember the name of them but Ronnie Corbett advertises them.

Page 311 of 1010 « First < 211 261 301 309 310 311 312 313 321 361 411 811 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top