Join for free
Page 8 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2017, 02:59 PM

Re: EU citizens in UK anxiously seek security before Brexit

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Could that just be a standard letter sent to everyone ahead of negotiations and a just formality.

Once article 50 is officially triggered and negotiations into a reciprocal agreement for settled residents is decided the letters could be rescinded .

As the EU rebuffed Mrs May's attempts to discuss a reciprocal agreement before formal negotiations started it is possible a logical train of events followed.

We will see in time if the letters showed serious intent or were just a formality.

I feel all this uncertainty could have been avoided if the EU hadn't been so intransigent and had approached the discussions of EU residence in a timely manner and with a degree of amicability instead of chest beating and rhetoric .
Well said, Meg!

Once the EU promise us that our people working "over there" will be able to continue, I expect our Government to sign up for those "over here".

I think we'll let them stay, anyway. Public opinion will see to that!

Have faith.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2017, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Annie, I certainly can blame the EU for how British citizens are being treated as a result of our decision to leave!
Theresa May did not want or ask for the citizens both here and in Europe to be made pawns in negotiations, there was no need for it at all, All the EU had to do was to sign an undertaking that those who had lived and worked in all affected countries, would not be asked to leave, but no, they chose instead to put worry and fear at the top of the list to ensure that all blamed Britain for leaving. It suited their gameplan because it certainly seems to be working with many.
...SG as I pointed out in an earlier post with a link ....
Angela Merkel and Donald Tusk on Tuesday united to block Theresa May's attempt to fast-track a deal which would have created an amnesty for British ex-pats and EU migrants in the UK post-Brexit.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...ating-anxiety/
Let's just pause for a moment and ask ourselves when Merkel and Tusk declined that offer in whose interest was it?
The people in EU countries living abroad and worried about their position, I think not.
Or was it more about a show of power and a stick to use on those who wished to free themselves from the bureaucratic fat cats who are doing very nicely thank you in the EU .
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2017, 04:07 PM

Very true Meg. I was also reading a piece in the Telegraph online where it said that Merkle will be doing her utmost in outing Juncker at the first opportunity next year. It went on to say that when Britain voted to come out after Cameron failed to get anything out of the negotiations, Juncker was heard sniggering about the vote to leave because he felt it now left the way clear for further integration into the EU of more countries such as Poland and other Eastern European countries. Juncker is all about widening the net for a United States of Europe whereas Merkle is said to be all about sorting out all the countries already admitted as members and the rules governing them before admitting any other countries in. Pity this hadn't been done already, maybe the vote would have gone the other way perhaps.
Interesting though that it is the European Council who will be negotiating with Britain, not the European Commission with Juncker in charge. He must no doubt feel that his nose has been put out of joint but not a breath of protest from him. Apparently Merkle is not at all enamoured of Juncker and has apparently been holding important talks with Tusk and others, but with him excluded.

Good! the sooner he is removed, the better.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2017, 04:56 PM

Hi

We may not be dealing with Merkel, we may be dealing with Schulz.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...populist-right

Schultz is big mates with Juncker.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2017, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->

I think we'll let them stay, anyway. Public opinion will see to that!

Too right it will. Nobody who voted leave wanted mass deportations i am sure. Its a total nonsense to play games with all these people.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2017, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Too right it will. Nobody who voted leave wanted mass deportations i am sure. Its a total nonsense to play games with all these people.
I voted leave and I'd very much like to see mass deportation of illegal immigrants, especially the economic migrants.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2017, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I voted leave and I'd very much like to see mass deportation of illegal immigrants, especially the economic migrants.
Hi

We could have done that without leaving.

We should be doing it now and should have been doing it years ago.

We still are not doing it.

Shame on us.

Leaving is still the best option, I cannot and will not be ruled by self centered egotistic megalomaniacs like Junker.

He is not responsible for all our ills however, we must recognise our own failings and deal with them.

My views on this are well known, out the illegals go.

We must hold our own Politicians to account for not doing this.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2017, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Ok nobody apart from you
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2017, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

We could have done that without leaving.

We should be doing it now and should have been doing it years ago.

We still are not doing it.

Shame on us.

Leaving is still the best option, I cannot and will not be ruled by self centered egotistic megalomaniacs like Junker.

He is not responsible for all our ills however, we must recognise our own failings and deal with them.

My views on this are well known, out the illegals go.

We must hold our own Politicians to account for not doing this.
The only way to do that was leave IMO until then our lot blame eu everytime.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

22-03-2017, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
The only way to do that was leave IMO until then our lot blame eu everytime.
quite a drastic way to prove a point.

Page 8 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top