Join for free
Page 16 of 18 « First < 6 14 15 16 17 18 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2017, 01:40 PM

Re: BEWARE Smart Meters Coming

May I ask a couple of questions, please?

Am I obliged to have a smart meter fitted?

If I state quite clearly that I do not want a smart meter, are they permitted to fit one anyway?
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2017, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Was there a specific concern from him about the meter MKJ?
He went on and on about how bad an idea it was from all sorts of perspectives. This was some time ago but a point he raised that does stick in my mind that I hadn't considered was that some customers had come out of a stay in hospital to find they had been cut off. I think he did say this was because of the automatic payment method these meters use. No personal touch so if someone hadn't paid then bang off goes their supply. There were many points he raised but I discussed this with him a few years ago so I can't remember what they were exactly. I was taken aback to be honest with you as it seemed a good idea to have one fitted to me at the time.

Thinking about it the fact it was based on WiFi was a real concern too with reliability being an issue along with the whole system being wide open to abuse and tampering.

He is a very excitable guy but he sure as hell knows everything about being a gas engineer so I took him at his word.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2017, 03:16 PM

Thanks mate, I have been doing further research. My supplier ScotPower informs me that they can't fit a smart meter to my home because we have an Economy 7 meter fitted. I also read that the energy supplier can switch off your power when it wants too?
See link.
https://rogerhelmermep.wordpress.com...-smart-meters/
So I am confused..I need a 'smart' brain...
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2017, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
He went on and on about how bad an idea it was from all sorts of perspectives. This was some time ago but a point he raised that does stick in my mind that I hadn't considered was that some customers had come out of a stay in hospital to find they had been cut off. I think he did say this was because of the automatic payment method these meters use. No personal touch so if someone hadn't paid then bang off goes their supply. There were many points he raised but I discussed this with him a few years ago so I can't remember what they were exactly. I was taken aback to be honest with you as it seemed a good idea to have one fitted to me at the time.

Thinking about it the fact it was based on WiFi was a real concern too with reliability being an issue along with the whole system being wide open to abuse and tampering.

He is a very excitable guy but he sure as hell knows everything about being a gas engineer so I took him at his word.
Sorry but the point he raised was rubbish.

If you are in hospital and the meter reader knocks on the door gets no answer then an estimated bill is sent.

If not paid because you have been in Hospital or even abroad then the Gas/Elec board will have to enter your house to cut off your supply.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2017, 03:47 PM

Won't they be able to do that by using the wi-fi link?
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2017, 04:19 PM

Don't most people pay by DD anyway?

yeah ok MOST people doesn't mean ALL
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2017, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->

If you are in hospital and the meter reader knocks on the door gets no answer then an estimated bill is sent.

If not paid because you have been in Hospital or even abroad then the Gas/Elec board will have to enter your house to cut off your supply.
Not really looked in to it but I just did a search and then took a look at this page that smart meters do have the potential to knock supplies off.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/co...-disconnected/

If you have a smart energy meter in your home, your supplier could potentially disconnect your supply remotely without needing to access to your meter. However, before they do this, they must have:

contacted you to discuss options for repaying your debt, eg through a repayment plan
visited your home to assess your personal situation and whether this would affect you being disconnected, eg if you’re disabled or elderly

If they don’t do this and they try and disconnect you, make a complaint to your supplier.
I did mention he is an excitable guy and this was a few years ago.

Other stuff I just read was being charged more at a certain time of the day and so on. I didn't see much mention of any savings to be made though.

I would rather have a meter than have to submit my own readings or those of the guy that knocks on my door occasionally. But how safe is it? Does it make mistakes? Can it be abused by unscrupulous companies?

I should really have another word with my mate. I might in fact send him an email. Trouble is with him if he rings me I can't get him off the phone.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

03-05-2017, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
Don't most people pay by DD anyway?

yeah ok MOST people doesn't mean ALL
Some people are on a meter me thinks. Stick some money in for x amount of energy.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2017, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Some people are on a meter me thinks. Stick some money in for x amount of energy.
Quite correct
I have a friend who has to do something with a card and if there's less than a fiver on it, they get charged an extra £2
Sarclanat Sallyh
Essex
Sarclanat Sallyh is female 

03-05-2017, 07:03 PM

I have key metre for electric and card metre for gas

Page 16 of 18 « First < 6 14 15 16 17 18 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top