Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2017, 01:33 AM

Brexit Vote Analysis

The BBC just published an article which analysed in some detail the voting trends in the Brexit vote:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-38762034

The data confirms previous indications that local results were strongly associated with the educational attainment of voters - populations with lower qualifications were significantly more likely to vote Leave. (The data for this analysis comes from one in nine wards)

• The level of education had a higher correlation with the voting pattern than any other major demographic measure from the census
  • The age of voters was also important, with older electorates more likely to choose Leave
  • Ethnicity was crucial in some places, with ethnic minority areas generally more likely to back Remain. However this varied, and in parts of London some Asian populations were more likely to support Leave
  • The combination of education, age and ethnicity accounts for the large majority of the variation in votes between different places
  • Across the country and in many council districts we can point out stark contrasts between localities which most favoured Leave or Remain
  • There was a broad pattern in several urban areas of deprived, predominantly white, housing estates towards the urban periphery voting Leave, while inner cities with high numbers of ethnic minorities and/or students voted Remain
  • Around 270 locations can be identified where the local outcome was in the opposite direction to the broader official counting area, including parts of Scotland which backed Leave and a Cornwall constituency which voted Remain
  • Postal voters appear narrowly more likely to have backed Remain than those who voted in a polling station

There is a better breakdown of the components at the web site quoted above. I thought it was quite interesting.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2017, 01:47 AM

Re: Brexit Vote Analysis

To be perfectly honest Bruce, the BBC have got a real bee in their bonnet since Brexit. They harp on about it day in day out, to the point of making many exasperated.

London were shell shocked .The night of the Brexit vote had a panel giving the results and when the Sunderland result came through they all look physically sick. Laura Keunsberg had the colour drain from her face, and they've never shut up since.

Statistics prove nothing, as I know of one village and a very wealthy village where just about everyone is of high intellect and voted leave. So, for the BBC to try and make out it was the uneducated and the poorer areas that were predominant in voting leave is probably bull s..t. What are they hoping to achieve anyway ?

London has not suffered like the rest of the country, with their inflated salaries and high flying jobs that whisk them all over the world. It's a different place outside the capitol and everyone does live in poverty in comparison and too many have been through the mill for too long, watching their rules coming from Europe and being forever squeezed more and more according to Brussels domination. However, many whom I know voted to leave were no fools, no poverty, and lived in respectable areas, even if they didn't have the right postcode .

The reason London was pro Europe is because the majority of the population weren't born in the UK anyway. So for a change, the rest of the country got a say, without London getting their own way, as they do on everything else. Grrrr!
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2017, 01:57 AM

I totally agree PD.

I'm getting a bit fed up of the inference that all the out voters were thicko's.
Some of the densest people I've heard so far on radio talk shows for example, were remainers who appeared clueless.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2017, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by fender ->
I totally agree PD.

I'm getting a bit fed up of the inference that all the out voters were thicko's.
Some of the densest people I've heard so far on radio talk shows for example, were remainers who appeared clueless.
Right. They have nothing positive to go on. Their campaign was run on negatives of what might happen if we vote leave. Originally they were going to find 10 positive points to run the campaign on, then they reduced to 5, then they decided they'd go the other route and play the negative game. So the would be 'remainers', still don't know what they might have missed out on because they were never told .
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2017, 02:13 AM

Agreed,

I spoke to a number of youngsters / college / uni kids who (if they bothered!) voted remain.

Reason?

"Coz I can travel around Europe wiv no bovva innit"...

I despair....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2017, 02:30 AM

Interesting because I know a number of highly intelligent people who voted leave because they are strongly against the EU purely on religious grounds. There is a view among some in religious communities that the EU is a strongly liberal institution which is part of the internationalist movement, threatening the conservative doctrines of the church and promoting atheism (i.e. Lennon's "imagine no religion, imagine all the people living life in peace", ethos) or theories of a communist agenda etc.

People voted for different reasons. A friend in Wales voted leave "because of all the immigrants", a colleague voted leave "for a change", another friend on the south coast voted leave because he is angry about "all the Muslim refugees" and wanted "£350m for the NHS". I am not sure why my friend's French mum voted leave, but she was a Uni lecturer before retiring. I think those who voted remain had just as varied education levels and just as varied reasons.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

07-02-2017, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Interesting because I know a number of highly intelligent people who voted leave because they are strongly against the EU purely on religious grounds. There is a view among some in religious communities that the EU is a strongly liberal institution which is part of the internationalist movement, threatening the conservative doctrines of the church and promoting atheism (i.e. Lennon's "imagine no religion, imagine all the people living life in peace", ethos) or theories of a communist agenda etc.

People voted for different reasons. A friend in Wales voted leave "because of all the immigrants", a colleague voted leave "for a change", another friend on the south coast voted leave because he is angry about "all the Muslim refugees" and wanted "£350m for the NHS". I am not sure why my friend's French mum voted leave, but she was a Uni lecturer before retiring. I think those who voted remain had just as varied education levels and just as varied reasons.
Yes, I agree.
But it does seem to be bandied around that those who voted leave are the thicko's and it gets a bit tiresome tbh.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2017, 02:55 AM

I don't understand why the BBC are bringing this up now. It's so tiresome to keep going over the reasons for the result. They should instead be motivating the country to get their tails in gear for a change of attitude and more enterprising behaviour. Or coming up with plans for how our young people are going to be motivated and trained properly to do jobs that will need to be filled.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

07-02-2017, 03:19 AM

I rarely understand the BBC to be honest.
It's done now, so lets move forward and make the best of it.

I too despair of the negative attitude of the BBC. Beggars belief sometimes.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2017, 09:31 AM

Many people are of the opinion that the BBC is biased against Brexit
Yes, it is quite probable that people with more/higher education voted Remain. Unfortunately a degree has now been devalued so much that it doesn't mean what it used to
Just because you're intelligent, it doesn't necessarily mean that you have any common sense

In fact, if you are younger and have spent most of your life in school & university you will be less likely to see or experience the problems that people have in the wider world

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top