Join for free
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

07-06-2011, 05:44 PM

Fuchsias

Anyone grow them?

Fantastic plants that don't cost an arm or a leg to grow.

We have quite a lot of the bush type which we propagate from cuttings and grow on for baskets and pots.

They are one plant that seem to thrive with us despite my attempts at its destruction.

I took a few cuttings about 10 days ago and I have just potted a lot of them up this afternoon.

Mrs Popple, Heidi Ann, Dollar Princess and Winston Churchill.

For the first year I am trying, Patio Princess, Madeline Sweeney and Paula Jane outside so have potted them up also.
Odie
Ontario, Canada
Odie is female  Odie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2011, 06:55 PM

Re: Fuchsias

Originally Posted by Hammer ->
Anyone grow them?

Fantastic plants that don't cost an arm or a leg to grow.

We have quite a lot of the bush type which we propagate from cuttings and grow on for baskets and pots.

They are one plant that seem to thrive with us despite my attempts at its destruction.

I took a few cuttings about 10 days ago and I have just potted a lot of them up this afternoon.

Mrs Popple, Heidi Ann, Dollar Princess and Winston Churchill.

For the first year I am trying, Patio Princess, Madeline Sweeney and Paula Jane outside so have potted them up also.

Your lucky to have bush types to propagate, here they are sold in hanging baskets only and unfortunately I have full sun all day, so I can`t have them.
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2011, 10:23 PM

We have lots in our garden we have been fortunate in that the frosts haven't seemed to harm them the only one we have lost in the last few years is Swingtime a shame cause it's a beauty we have Mrs Popple, Beacon, Dollar princess,Voodoo which is a huge flowered double it's a beaut
Dark Prince is a lovely little one doesn't grow too bigand we have lots of a variety that we don't know the name of it was the first Fuchia we were given and it has just been propagated on from cuttings and splitting I think I have supplied the neighbourhood with Fushias over the years as I hate having to dump them as they seem to do well here and we have to split them quite often as they get too big for their spot...I don't know how you keep them through the winter as we do not have a greenhouse so we wait for the frosts to take the leaves and then cover the crown with a deep layer of compost it seems to work for us...
Sue
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2011, 10:48 PM

I stumbled across these wonderful flowers a few years ago while at a Strawberry Festival in Mt Angel, Oregon. They had a garden shop loaded with hanging flower basketa and I love to photograph flowers. I'd never seen this variety of flower before so I was quick to capture it's beauty.

Odie
Ontario, Canada
Odie is female  Odie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2011, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by bobmielke ->
I stumbled across these wonderful flowers a few years ago while at a Strawberry Festival in Mt Angel, Oregon. They had a garden shop loaded with hanging flower basketa and I love to photograph flowers. I'd never seen this variety of flower before so I was quick to capture it's beauty.

just like ours here Bob!

stunning pic as always.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2011, 02:21 AM

I've grown them in hanging baskets; treat as annuals as they don't do well overwintering in a house with the dry heat and low humidity (no greenhouse). I thought the hardy variety might do well outdoors here, but it didn't overwinter. Sad, as they are stunning plants.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2011, 02:31 PM

Fuschia grows wild here in Ireland, and I'm surrounded by it wherever I go. It's considered a weed by many here. I've recently moved house and my new home and garden have been neglected for many years. First gardening job was to cut back the massively overgrown fuschia bushes!
Odie
Ontario, Canada

16-06-2011, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Fuschia grows wild here in Ireland, and I'm surrounded by it wherever I go. It's considered a weed by many here. I've recently moved house and my new home and garden have been neglected for many years. First gardening job was to cut back the massively overgrown fuschia bushes!

a weed to you is a colour of magic to me!

isn't is strange that they grow wild where you live.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2011, 11:57 AM

Actually I love fuschias, but they do need controlling here.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top