Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2014, 11:58 PM

Re: Is there a danger.

[QUOTE=jaywalker;420232]I think it's more than possible and probably quite likely in the small place I live in. One young man I know of has fathered three children none of whom he has anything to do with. It's quite possible they could meet half siblings in a total island population of 500,000. And our gene pool has always been small so it could get worse.[/QUOTE]

Yes jaywalker, exactly the same happens in the animal world and for the same reason as you've said. For example dogs bred from a very small gene pool are liable to have many health problems caused by the breeding of relatives, and so it would no doubt be the same with humans.
Humans mostly mate willy-nilly without knowing or caring anything about each others genes and/or any risks likely to be inflicted on the resulting offspring.
No doubt it sounds cranky, but maybe one day people will have some sort of genetic testing done for compatability before they reproduce?
seaspirit
stowmarket suffolk
seaspirit is female  seaspirit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2014, 09:54 AM

always been a problem adopted children did not have the rights to family history before, not to mention the children stolen from ethnic groups and placed elsewhere over the years. extended families these days usually know who their siblings are or can easily find out
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2014, 09:58 AM

How strange. This was a storyline in Holby City last night. Girl claims she didn't grow up with half brother, so thought it didn't count.

I agree, it is a minefield.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2014, 08:21 PM

That is strange. I don't watch the programme but I wish I had seen it.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top