Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2016, 11:45 AM

Re: Positive Input Ventilation

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
she does open windows.
So what's the problem then ?
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2016, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
So what's the problem then ?
I'm not sure.
There could be numerous reasons.
High humidity caused by lack of ventilation behind fitted wardrobes.
Damp subsoil under the house.
Lack of 'adequate' ventilation.
Etc etc
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2016, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Hi Pesta. No, the one's I use don't let in fresh air, they're mainly for extraction. The one's you are talking about sound more like heat recovery systems where warm moist air is extracted and used to warm up incoming fresh air which is then vented back into the building.

The one's I use are these: https://www.alertelectrical.com/manr...FQMW0wodCjsP5g

Although installed as standard in larger new homes, they can be installed retrospectively in older properties. No need to open a window
That one isn't for me Judd....I want fresh air circulating around when I'm out or at night. But thanks anyway for that.
Your first paragraph sound the right one though
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2016, 09:18 PM

Erm..would just like to say I ain't stupid to those who think I am....I do know about how one's lifestyle can influence how humidity accumulates in the home....even if I am a woman .

For instance, I do know about how drying wet clothes on rads, cooking, showers baths etc produce humidity and condensation....not to mention our own breath....and I take every precaution to limit those levels - which even includes if the kitchen windows are closed and I'm boiling the kettle for a brew, I position it under the extractor hood to take the steam out!

I open the windows every day, although if the weather is humid or damp outside, I only open the bathroom window and have my bedroom window only slightly open, trying to limit bringing the humidity or dampness from coming in.

No room is closed off. I keep all the internal doors open except the bathroom and kitchen when I'm showering/bathing or cooking. The lounge has a chimney, which when I first moved here I noted moths were flying down it - so I stuffed a bit of paper up there. Then when the basket ware grew green mould, I figured it was because I was stopping airflow from the chimney, so I took it out.

I've never had problems in any house I've lived in. For some reason this bungalow is a nightmare, both for a musty smell if the house has been left, even for an hour, or the high humidity levels. I came here with lots of basket ware. Most have been binned as green mould grew on them.

I think it's a combination of the position, which is lower down that the surrounding roads, plus it's surrounded by trees. I really don't know - but it's a constant battle not to mention rising leccie bills with heavy use of a dehumidifier. The back of the house is cooler because whilst the sun is around in the actual garden, it rarely stays long shining in the house because of high trees. Some areas of the back garden always remain damp too.

I've always left windows open in houses, whether I'm in or out. Being in a bungalow I don't want to leave the windows open at night for security reasons. Although I've recently started to leave the bathroom window open on the security opening at night.

Funnily, I've sussed that certain folk around here have what I call a 'bungalow smell'. They smell musty on their clothes and I don't have to be on top of them to smell it .... one house makes me positively poorly with the mould spores that I can feel and smell. I know this place is bothering my health my eyes are more often than not swollen and puffy and my nose is always blocked, much more than it ever was.

Sorry this is so long....I've tried everything since I've been here. It drives me nuts

Tpin, I've got a temperature thing with includes the humidity levels - is that what you mean?
Bonz
New Member!
Vancouver,Canada
Bonz is female 

24-10-2016, 05:21 AM

Installing an extractor fan and linking it to an exterior vent can help improve long term ventilation.You could run it to reduce the condensation and bad odors. Vents from the main part of the house into the loft and vents from the roof can improve the air flow and stop dry rot to a large degree.Having an energy efficient window is also another great way to reduce utility bills.Here is a blog from canglow windows and doors that mentions the benefits of getting energy efficient windows

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top