Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2014, 02:54 PM

Re: Can you write about cruising?

Originally Posted by windhound ->
I enjoyed cruising on the QE2 twice,would have done so again if she had not been de-commissioned(sold!) I thought that I would find it boring,but the only time you see the same people is at meal times,and then you can always forgo going to set meal times. I loved it and if offered the opportunity would accept gladly.Only if they were adults only (old grump) but it does make a difference.
Not invited to eat at the Captains table??

Neither was I...but so much snobbery going on..
philwhiteland
Derbyshire, UK
philwhiteland is male  philwhiteland has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2014, 03:53 PM

I've written a number of pieces about cruising (see http://philwhiteland.blogspot.co.uk/...happy-now.html for one of the most recent). I also write a monthly column for the Derby Telegraph (but not on cruising, that being a bit difficult in land-locked Derby!)
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2014, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by lilac ->
Not invited to eat at the Captains table??

Neither was I...but so much snobbery going on..
I've been on the Captain's table, no big deal same meal but plenty of wine....more whine on the next night sitting with the real snobs who had sour grape faces that were green with envy....silly sods.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2014, 08:28 AM

I shared quite a few meals with the Captain (but then I was crew and there were no passengers). Our Captain was an interesting man - had been a junior officer during WW2 and had been torpedoed and sunk a number of times and adrift in lifeboats in the middle of the Atlantic in mid winter for some days.
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2014, 08:32 AM

In well over 20 cruises, there has never been a 'captain's table' - he eats with his officers. The only time we've seen a captain dining with passengers was when he had some of his family on board.
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2014, 03:15 PM

Yes his wife was there I was sitting next to her..I never knew that before as we always go on the first sitting the Captain dines on the second one. I'm not in the habit of telling lies about such trivia which you seemed to imply....:! as I stated it was no big deal.

Just to prove a point.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1937371
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2014, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Gabi ->
I'm not in the habit of telling lies about such trivia which you seemed to imply....:! as I stated it was no big deal.

Just to prove a point.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1937371
that wasn't my intention, just to point out that sharing a table with the captain is not the be-all-and-end-all of cruising. And we're first sitting bods too!
Gabi
Lancs,.

21-07-2014, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Deb W ->
In well over 20 cruises, there has never been a 'captain's table' - he eats with his officers. The only time we've seen a captain dining with passengers was when he had some of his family on board.

This what I was annoyed at.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2014, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by windhound ->
I enjoyed cruising on the QE2 twice,would have done so again if she had not been de-commissioned(sold!) I thought that I would find it boring,but the only time you see the same people is at meal times,and then you can always forgo going to set meal times. I loved it and if offered the opportunity would accept gladly.Only if they were adults only (old grump) but it does make a difference.
On our cruise, we took the advice of booking a seating on a large table with six other couples. The idea being if you end up sitting near someone you don't like, you can always talk to the others on your table. However, we were lucky and got on with everyone.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2014, 11:32 PM

Never seen the point of cruising, the whole point of being on a ship was cheap duty free booze and that definitely doesn't describe a cruise.

My daughter loves them and wants the whole family to go one Christmas but I always hold out for a BBQ.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top