Join for free
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2014, 05:29 PM

Credit card fraud teams

I have had a credit card for years and every now and then I get a phone call from their fraud team to verify a transaction. I've always felt confident that they are on the ball most of the time. Only once in the past has there been some fraudulent activity identified - some small US dollar transaction, probably a test - and the card was immediately stopped and replaced.

I have just had another phone call from them. This time it seems that they have picked up that a single IP address has managed to access multiple online card accounts. No fraud has yet been perpetrated as far as they know. A new card will shortly be on its way and I need to change a few passwords. It's a small price to pay for (hopefully) security. But I'm not sure how many of my personal details may have been accessible. I'm in two minds - it's a bit scary, but it's also reassuring to know the fraud team has picked it up.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2014, 06:16 PM

Re: Credit card fraud teams

Sorry to hear that O But surely the bank could tell you what they think has been stolen. I don't get anyone phoning me and would tell them I will ring them just in case it is still a risk.
When you say you changed your password I hope it was in private and
not still on the phone or online. Until you found out it was the Bank that rang ???
Hope everything goes well.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2014, 06:27 PM

Didn't think banks phoned - they do advise never to give info like passwords over the phone even if you believe it is the bank, as they would never ask for this info.
Ania will know that ...... So I guess it will be after the card is received that she needs to inform the bank or whoever, regarding passwords ......
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2014, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
Sorry to hear that O But surely the bank could tell you what they think has been stolen. I don't get anyone phoning me and would tell them I will ring them just in case it is still a risk.
When you say you changed your password I hope it was in private and
not still on the phone or online. Until you found out it was the Bank that rang ???
Hope everything goes well.
Don't worry, I did not give away any information on the phone. I was advised to change my password, that's all. I am familiar with this credit card company and the way they work, and actually was quite impressed with how they picked it up on this particular occasion.

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Didn't think banks phoned - they do advise never to give info like passwords over the phone even if you believe it is the bank, as they would never ask for this info.
Ania will know that ...... So I guess it will be after the card is received that she needs to inform the bank or whoever, regarding passwords ......
No, they didn't ask for any info. Merely stated what had happened and why as a precaution they wanted to cancel my current card and issue me with a new one. They have done this once before and I have no reason to question them doing it this time. My only slight fear is that of subsequent identity fraud, but they are putting some extra measures in place just in case.

I have a sneaking feeling that this episode is quite a Big Thing for the credit card company.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2014, 06:42 PM

Yes they sound good to me - hope all banks and CC companies are like this .....
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

24-07-2014, 11:15 PM

Actually, from what they were saying I think their site has been hacked. And I think they are dealing with it in an expedient fashion.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2014, 01:04 AM

My bank phoned me a few years ago to say that an internet transaction was blocked. It was only for about a £1. They said don't worry, no fraud has been committed, but they would need to cancel my card and issue a new one. This was days before leaving for a holiday, if I remember rightly! Great inconvenience at the time, but I had no say in the matter.

I would rather they kept on top of these things.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

29-07-2014, 03:28 PM

New card arrived today. Had a chat with the guy when activating it and it seems that a lot of accounts were affected. The fraud guys have certainly been busy! Let's just hope that they have done enough to prevent any future identity fraud.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top