Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2014, 06:37 PM

Re: Different Spelling?

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
Oh gee, I wouldn't want to have to say that word 10x fast

I had no idea

Lol

Can you get these links ?

http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?wor...&submit=Submit

http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=aluminium
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
I've noticed the word "whingers" & it makes me chuckle, no offence Is it "whiners" because that's how we spell it.

:
I think whingers is an Australian expression rather than a pommie one - the 'g' is pronounced. However it means more or less the same as whiners.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 01:17 PM

Never heard the word "whingers"..

Always use the "O" not "ou"

and it's CHECKS... I write Checks...

I also stand in LINES.... not cues.. ...

I of course am partial to American English.. Standard English is just to foo-foo and flowery for me.. Looks odd ..sounds odd too... lol!! Just kidding... It's a joke... just poking fun.... only ribbing you... OK?

But seriously... It's only vocaculary and some spelling. Gramatically, both forms of English are almost identical, in the written form. (except we use serial commas) ie.. one, two and three (British) one, two, and three (American)... The spoken forms do vary a lot.. But I think it's more pronounciation and colloquialisms that make that difference... when people are speaking infomally.. that's where the difference comes in. Just as dialects are different in parts of each country.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
Never heard the word "whingers"..

Always use the "O" not "ou"

and it's CHECKS... I write Checks...

I also stand in LINES.... not cues.. ...

I of course am partial to American English.. Standard English is just to foo-foo and flowery for me.. Looks odd ..sounds odd too... lol!! Just kidding... It's a joke... just poking fun.... only ribbing you... OK?

But seriously... It's only vocaculary and some spelling. Gramatically, both forms of English are almost identical, in the written form. (except we use serial commas) ie.. one, two and three (British) one, two, and three (American)... The spoken forms do vary a lot.. But I think it's more pronounciation and colloquialisms that make that difference... when people are speaking infomally.. that's where the difference comes in. Just as dialects are different in parts of each country.

Audrey: I also stand in LINES.... not cues.. ... a cue - is a billiard, pool or snooker cue. what you are referring to is queue.

and it's CHECKS... I write Checks... You can go for a check up at the doctor's surgery or you can check something out as in investigate, but when sending money to a third person one writes a cheque.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 01:54 PM

standing in line is a queue ...

A cue is some kind of pointy stick people use when they play billiards etc
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
standing in line is a queue ...

A cue is some kind of pointy stick people use when they play billiards etc
Yes... thanks... I played around with the spelling cue.. Que... never got to queue... just knew how it was pronounced. A CUE stick is for pool here also.

Oh... and I still write checks.. lol!!
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

25-07-2014, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
Yes... thanks... I played around with the spelling cue.. Que... never got to queue... just knew how it was pronounced. A CUE stick is for pool here also.

Oh... and I still write checks.. lol!!

lol ... a pool is what you swim in innit
AudreyII
USA

25-07-2014, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
lol ... a pool is what you swim in innit
Yes... but it is also a game played on a felt covered table with side and corner pockets.. using a cue stick.. and a white ball to knock either solid colored or striped balls into said pockets..
AudreyII
USA

25-07-2014, 04:08 PM

Holiday.... that's another one.

We use the word holiday to mean Christmas.. New Years... Easter.. etc..

When you take a break off work and go on a trip... that's a vacation.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 07:20 PM

A pool table was something the Clampetts ate their Christmas dinner on, on The Beverly Hillbillies, lol! They thought the pool cues were for passing the pots around!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top