Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2011, 01:40 AM

Re: recycling

The powers that be obviously give little thought to people who have limited space, or older people for whom lugging heavy bins might be a problem .... sigh ..... big sigh
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2011, 01:50 AM

Well, I am told that if I ring our local Council and tell them that I can't manage the bins myself, they would be collected from their storage point. Problem with that is they will collect them, but will they return them? That is the question.

My bins are already at the front of my house, down the side of the hedge so I can do no more than that but, when I get home from work, I'll guarantee that I have to get out of my car, on the wrong side of the road, to move the bins because they've put it smack dab in the middle of where I park my car. We can't win!
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2011, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Good heavens Merz where do you store them all .
Just have enough room in back garden Meg for 2 bins, 1 bin lives in the garage along with the box-it's like playing draughts with them on bin days

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
Well, I am told that if I ring our local Council and tell them that I can't manage the bins myself, they would be collected from their storage point. Problem with that is they will collect them, but will they return them? That is the question.

My bins are already at the front of my house, down the side of the hedge so I can do no more than that but, when I get home from work, I'll guarantee that I have to get out of my car, on the wrong side of the road, to move the bins because they've put it smack dab in the middle of where I park my car. We can't win!
Mollie, here if they collect bins from those who can't manage to put them out, they also have to put them back. My friend's neighbour cannot manage to put her bins out and the binmen always take them and put them back. Would have though it would be the same where you are, although every Council seems to work differently.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2011, 10:10 AM

It is so strange that we are in the same country and yet there are such differences from town to town.
Ours are
Blue - recycling
brown - garden waste
green - general rubbish
small green - food waste
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2011, 01:35 PM

I have 5 bins.

Black for general waste

Green for garden waste and cardboard

3 green boxes for paper, plastic & cans and bottles and glass.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2011, 01:40 PM

Crickey Val, do they pay you wages for doing their work for them?
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2011, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by maryl ->
Crickey Val, do they pay you wages for doing their work for them?
Sadly no
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2011, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by shirley ->
It is so strange that we are in the same country and yet there are such differences from town to town.
Ours are
Blue - recycling
brown - garden waste
green - general rubbish
small green - food waste
We seem to be the only people to have to pay to have garden waste removed @ £65 a year (I take mine 5 miles to the tip except grass which goes in the compost ).
seaspirit
stowmarket suffolk
seaspirit is female  seaspirit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2011, 04:38 PM

midsuffolk has a black bin for landfill, a green for recycle and bags for the garden are £1 each but we have to go to needham market to get them about 5 miles I think
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2011, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by maryl ->
Black for general rubbish, collected weekly
Blue for recyclying paper, glass, cans, plastic, collected fortnightly.
Some residents in Poole have a green one for garden waste, we don't, although we have a huge garden. The council are consulting us on whether we would be prepared to pay an extra £30 odd per year for a green bin to be collected May to September (I think). Damn cheek!
Well the council have just knocked that idea on the head. Goes up to another flippin' committee to decide what to do now. At the same time they have decided to fine any resident that puts garden waste in their black bin. So those people without a car to take it to the tip are well and truly stuck. They're saying they are going to burn it. That'll help the environment won't it but they haven't much choice.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top