Join for free
Page 4 of 13 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 10:54 PM

Re: Spelling and grammar

Originally Posted by Mr Magoo ->
I was very thoroughly taught spelling and grammar at my ,er, Grammar School. I can’t help noticing errors on the forum. I know that I shouldn’t mind but my training was so thorough that it really pains when I see the mistakes.

It’s my problem, I realise.
I suffer from the same problem, Mr M, and I too realise that most people would be offended to have their errors pointed out, so do my best 'not to notice'!

As for teachers who can't spell or grammaticise, yes, I have seen that many times. In fact, I distinctly remember an English 'expert' giving us a talk at our school. His Powerpoint presentation was littered with spelling mistakes, some of which were clearly as a result of his relying on an American spellchecker!

The rot set in, as far as I'm aware, during the 1960s. Anyone who went to primary school at that time or afterwards is likely to have suffered inferior teaching thanks to the idiotic 'child centred' ideas that began to be thought up round about that time.

Fortunately, my schooling just about preceded that era, although that of my siblings did not. My wife also had that misfortune.

I'm afraid that worse was about to happen, though. More recently, as I'm sure all teachers are aware, the government and their appointed 'experts' have been constantly trying to improve matters by making regular changes to the curriculum which have, of course, had the diametrically opposed effect to that intended! Children (and teachers!) benefit from consistency and not constant change.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
My 6-y.o. granddaughter showed me her reading book's "teacher's comments" section a few weeks ago. It was littered with grammatical errors and spelling mistakes from her teacher. many parents complained about similar remarks from this teacher.
Apparently the teacher wasn't even qualified, the school was investigated for bad practices and the teacher got sacked.
Quite right too. Had that been me, I'd have returned the teacher's comments corrected in red ink.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 11:42 PM

Years ago, a school 'Report Card' came home relating to our then 10yo.

The report was riddled with errors.
Using a red biro, I corrected the errors, gave a mark of 7 out of 10 and returned the report with the notation "Must try harder".
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 11:49 PM

Im sure i must make a lot of members happy with my posts.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2017, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Haha. Are you on my wavelength, Longdogs? Jizzy cum?!
Yes.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2017, 12:50 PM

There was an article on the ABC web site today about this very matter. Quite interesting.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-0...-wrong/8157294

Written by Misty Adoniou Associate Professor in language, literacy and TESL at the University of Canberra.

It starts:

Do you remember being taught you should never start your sentences with "And" or "But"?

What if I told you that your teachers were wrong and there are lots of other so-called grammar rules that we've probably been getting wrong in our English classrooms for years?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2017, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
There was an article on the ABC web site today about this very matter. Quite interesting.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-0...-wrong/8157294

Written by Misty Adoniou Associate Professor in language, literacy and TESL at the University of Canberra.

It starts:

Do you remember being taught you should never start your sentences with "And" or "But"?

What if I told you that your teachers were wrong and there are lots of other so-called grammar rules that we've probably been getting wrong in our English classrooms for years?
That's true, we should never start a sentence with 'And' or 'But' although we see it all the time. I have started doing it too, only because I have seen it countless times in novels and not necessarily modern ones either.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2017, 01:56 PM

For me rot set in when phonics took over it happened just as I started school, I could read and write prior to starting and an remember my nan being told off because I couldn't do phonics with the others because I could already spell !

Since then I've seen kids struggle from working through the phonics to learning to spell properly, if they had been taught properly to start with they only needed to learn once.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2017, 03:53 PM

The same for my son Julie. i remember this strip of a thing having a go because we taught him to read using the old ABC method. I asked her how he was doing, she replied he was top of the class for reading, writing, and sums.The irony was lost on her.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2017, 04:24 PM

Fortunately, all languages are fluid. They evolve.
The 'Rules' taught to us (often by rote or by cane) are not entirely relevant today.
We might not like it. Too bad.

"Our" English is not that of our grandparents.
(Read any letter or newspaper report from a century ago).

It might give us a warm, fuzzy glow to feel superior to our young in this matter.
But, "at the end of the day", change is inevitable.

Page 4 of 13 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top