Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 10:30 PM

Re: Oh heck...I've made a start...

Pests

Sue and I have owned dogs since 1972 and before retiring owned boarding kennels licenced for 116 dogs and 42 cats. When we first took over he kennels there was only about 350 clients on the books, when we sold about 23years later we had built that number up to 5,500 clients on the books. Although based not far from Cannock and Walsall we had clients as far away as Cornwall and Ireland. Ex locals that had moved mainly and come back for holidays to friends/relatives.
Even the local vets recommended us over other boarding kennels in the area as we boarded their own cats and dogs.

Our cattery

As you can see it is full and like that for most of the time, even though I had extended it

When we took the place over this end was just a broken down old type barn with rubble where have I since laid the grass. Also replace all the roof and provided power points in each pen.

Did too much to put on here about the kennels upgrade but did add a grooming parlour and replaced all the electrics throughout as well as all the outside to the kennels with new mesh panels and that was just a start
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 10:31 PM

Jazzi, fingers crossed then you will soon be another mad dog owner
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 10:47 PM

I hope you find just what you want Jazzi. Our little Shititzu is an absolute little treasure, sweet natured, good as gold and we can take her anywhere. We can't have dogs that shed because of Mr Clumsy's asthma and I haven't wanted to cope with dog hairs for some years, not that I ever enjoyed them. We had to pay more for ChoCho because she is completely black, which evidently is not common. Over the years we've had quite a few people wanting to buy her off us. No chance of that, we have always kept a very close eye on her, even when out in the garden.

ChoCho is 10 years old now, and has been a healthy and happy little dog. Mostly just routine vet visits for vaccinations and health checks, plus being trimmed every 6 to 8 weeks.

I hope you get your little companion soon and you both have a happy life together.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 10:50 PM

She has responded to my query. The new litter is 2 weeks old and all pups are selling for £850 each.

However, she hasn't said anything about me going to view, even though I suggested it! I'm going to sleep on it, and see if I get another reply from her tomorrow.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
She has responded to my query. The new litter is 2 weeks old and all pups are selling for £850 each.

However, she hasn't said anything about me going to view, even though I suggested it! I'm going to sleep on it, and see if I get another reply from her tomorrow.

Keep other options open as well for the time being Jazzi.
Does she health test, and did you check which tests that breed need?
For that amount of money everything should be in order.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

10-10-2017, 10:57 PM

if you do get one, and yes they are expensive from a good breeder, don't forget to get a bill of sale as well as the pedigree forms, most good breeders throw in 3 months pet insurance to cover the first months of the puppy going into a new home and some even cover a vet check and first vaccination, so worth asking.
Micro chipping is now compulsory but it strangely enough is not proof of ownership so the vet should do that at the same time. My manageress did the course on micro chipping and was qualified to do it.

What people tend to forget that getting a dog from a strays/rescue kennels is not an outright sale only adopted with the organisation still having the right to ownership. This is why they ask for a donation and only give a receipt not a bill of sale
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 11:01 PM

Hi Jazzi I didn't realise you were getting a puppy. if you are buying a puppy it is wise to make sure they have had the appropriate health tests for the breed by checking the breeder has the relevant health certificates for the sire and dam.

Information here, enter the breed name ...
https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/ser...d/Default.aspx
This is the page for CKCS..
https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/ser...y.aspx?id=6149
then select health information in the right hand column.
https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/ser...h.aspx?id=6149

You can also go to the breed club website of your chosen breed, they will have all the health details and you can usually get a list of breeders who have signed up to the breed code of practice which includes health testing from the club secretary .

Make sure you see any puppies with their Dam
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
if you do get one, and yes they are expensive from a good breeder, don't forget to get a bill of sale as well as the pedigree forms, most good breeders throw in 3 months pet insurance to cover the first months of the puppy going into a new home and some even cover a vet check and first vaccination, so worth asking.
Micro chipping is now compulsory but it strangely enough is not proof of ownership so the et should do that at the ame time. My manageress did the course on micro chipping and was qualified to do it.

I agree with the first part Bazza, but I have never seen 3 months insurance given, the norm is 6 weeks to my knowledge.

When I bred, with each puppy I gave the pedigree form, KC reg for change of ownership details, receipt, sales contract to explain one or two things which they had to sign, puppy insurance, diet sheet, some food to start them off and something that smelled of their siblings and mum to help them settle that first night.

Microchips didn't apply when I had my last litter, and I never vaccinated before 8 weeks either. Any pup I kept for myself was never vaccinated before 10 weeks as I don't agree with earlier vacs.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

10-10-2017, 11:08 PM

Ii can only go by what we offered when we sold puppies, but that was many many years ago and times change.
I have to say I was heart broken when our puppies went at 12/14 weeks, kinda got used to avoiding puppies around the legs.
I actually managed to find an old tape of one of a litter the puppies and videoed it onto digital format. very poor video but the tape had faded by the time I found it and very faded. I will see if I can put a bit of it on here later I have it on CD at the moment.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->

Jazzi a good breeder will not let you view the puppies when they are small because of the risk of infection particularly parvo virus. You may be able to see photographs or a video.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top