Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2018, 12:54 AM

Re: Dementia

Originally Posted by Azure ->
My stepfather had dementia and was looked after at home by mother.
He was a lovely gentle man very polite as well and had a nice smile for everyone.
He was quite lucid at times but lived in the past.

Azure, was his dementia preceded by apathy, depression and anxiety? You seem to be saying this is a cause of dementia in your first post.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2018, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I don't believe depression leads to dementia except possibly in very extreme cases of very severe depression. Severe depression can cause the brain to shrink and atrophy as skills & memories are lost. This also happens in vascular dementia. Severe depression is something you don't see every day. It's where someone gets to the stage of being catatonic and unable to dress or eat and speak. But early stages of dementia can lead to depression as parts of the brain stop talking to each other. Confusion and isolation & being misunderstood can lead anyone to feeling lonely and depressed. This may happen years before it's obvious that someone has dementia.

With severe depression it's not something you can manage. It can be stabilised with medication but not with self-help or positive thinking. I used to think all types of depression could be changed with positive thinking but now I am fully convinced it's totally chemical. There are chemical changes in the brain that are extremely difficult to reverse. It's like a groove in a record where you can't move the stylus. The brain we are born with has inbuilt flaws, everyone has different strengths and weaknesses just as the human body is unique in its faults in all but identical twins.

The way it's currently treated is only effective for some. A stab in the dark almost. Maybe mild depression can be managed with cognitive therapy. Once it goes beyond that treatment options are less effective. Most people exist on a fog of medication. The "experts" still do not understand much about how the brain works. Some brains totally regenerate after brain injury which flummoxes the experts.

Dementia is also not something anyone can easily avoid.

There are studies linking dementia to "white foods" - sugar, rice, flour, potatoes, cake, bread etc. There is advice to keep your brain active and to exercise. But I am convinced that there is something in day to day life that is causing these plaques to build up. Something we take completely for granted. One day we will find it.
Good post !
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2018, 03:33 AM

A very dear family member had dementia.
In his case, it was caused by a chain of mini strokes, which he had no idea he was having. Nor did any of us.
From what we were told, people that have strokes are at a greater risk to get dementia than those who haven't.

When originally trying to determine what caused his dementia, we were asked if had depression, as they said that though depression doesn't cause dementia, it most likely does contribute to it.
That's from the docs here - I've not read any studies, etc. to back it up.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2018, 03:27 PM

When was it noticed that Alzheimers was on the increase?
Is there a clue there as to the cause ?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2018, 05:18 PM

They are working tirelessly on dementia as it's now easily the most crippling ailment known to man and woman. There are so many advances in medical care and other treatments of the horrible disease.

In the past few years I have lost my dad, mum and uncle to dementia/Alzheimer's and two weeks ago I lost my aunt to it as well.

I'm wondering if it's something that happened with a certain generation years ago, perhaps in the 1930's when they were all growing up. Maybe something in the atmosphere, or in food that caused all this? It's strange how when I was a kid we never knew people passing away on such a vast scale to it as we do now. People used to say things like "there's a mad woman at the end of the street" or something, now it's widespread far beyond that. I only hope it isn't hereditary, but time will tell.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2018, 05:42 PM

People didn't use to live so long so they died before they got dementia .
As to cause who knows at one time It was though the use of aluminium pans was a possible cause .
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2018, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
They are working tirelessly on dementia as it's now easily the most crippling ailment known to man and woman. There are so many advances in medical care and other treatments of the horrible disease.

In the past few years I have lost my dad, mum and uncle to dementia/Alzheimer's and two weeks ago I lost my aunt to it as well.

I'm wondering if it's something that happened with a certain generation years ago, perhaps in the 1930's when they were all growing up. Maybe something in the atmosphere, or in food that caused all this? It's strange how when I was a kid we never knew people passing away on such a vast scale to it as we do now. People used to say things like "there's a mad woman at the end of the street" or something, now it's widespread far beyond that. I only hope it isn't hereditary, but time will tell.

It would be interesting to know if people from some areas are affected more than in others. Quite often certain illnesses are cloned by areas not so well off, and if that applies to those who have suffered dementia, maybe we should be looking at the fluoridated water supplies in certain counties as opposed to more wealthy counties in this country.

Fluoride Affects Many Tissues in Your Body Besides Your Teeth
Many assume that consuming fluoride is only an issue that involves your dental health. But according to a 500-page scientific review, fluoride is an endocrine disruptor that can affect your bones, brain, thyroid gland, pineal gland and even your blood sugar levels.2

There have been over 34 human studies and 100 animal studies linking fluoride to brain damage,3 including lower IQ in children, and studies have shown that fluoride toxicity can lead to a wide variety of health problems, including:

Increased lead absorption Disrupts synthesis of collagen Hyperactivity and/or lethargy Muscle disorders
Thyroid disease Arthritis Dementia Bone fractures
Lowered thyroid function Bone cancer (osteosarcoma) Inactivates 62 enzymes and inhibits more than 100 Inhibited formation of antibodies
Genetic damage and cell death Increased tumor and cancer rate Disrupted immune system Damaged sperm and increased infertility
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

21-01-2018, 06:34 PM

There are so many factors that could contribute to dementia
The widespread use of electronic devices, rises in background non-ionising radiation - PCs, microwaves, TVs, mobile phones; road and air transport up four-fold increasing background petro-chemical pollution; chemical additives to food, etc.
Could be almost anything or a combination of these things.
Apparantly there is a reduction in the rates of Altzeimers in the UK
https://www.alzheimersresearchuk.org...r-two-decades/
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2018, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Azure, was his dementia preceded by apathy, depression and anxiety? You seem to be saying this is a cause of dementia in your first post.
carol

In his case he did not have depression ,he always had a happy disposition, and did not have an unkind word to say about anybody. The onset was memory loss, slowly he started to forget many things

He loved to go to Market for weekend shopping and meet friends and started coming home minus many items.

Mother then gave him a list aad he came home without any shopping or money
"Where is the shopping" asked mother,"I gave you a list and the money' Laughing he replied ,Oh! I gave it away"

She then realized that something was wrong with his behavior and made an appointment to see their GP.

The Bad news that he was in the first stage of Alzheimers at age 70, and it would get progressively worse. Medication was offered but this made him act like a Zombie. A lower dose was the proscribed and she gave it him when he became anxious.

Slowly he reverted back to childhood mentally and physically and would get up early to get ready for School
asking where his satchel was and dinner money.

I lived 200 miles away then with a young family, and kept in touch weekly, and I went to see them four times each year but no room for children,. also they were married when both spouses died after I left home and I hardly knew him as a father.

Mother eventually had to bathe him, dress, him and shave him as well and constantly watch him.

Her close friends of many years, now retired were very helpful.

She refused to send him to a Home and they slept in the same bed right to the end.

Rather poignantly he would bust into song with

"Oh! I do like to be Beside the Seaside" and take mother's hand and sing;

"If you were the Only Girl in the World"

Shame this happened to a lovely man.

My friend's Dementia did start with depression as she was was being treated for it for some time.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2018, 10:37 PM

Just ref your last sentence Azure, I wonder whether some of the medication they use to treat depression can bring on dementia? I once looked up valerian which is treated as safe and found links to memory loss. But it seems that there may be some connection :

http://nationalpost.com/health/antid...study-suggests

https://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-...-of-your-brain

I discovered my anti histamine being classed as a serotonin re-uptake inhibitor (I only found that out after ending up with serotonin syndrome by accident after trying 5 htp for insomnia). I noticed that I would feel a bit dopey after taking it but you just don't think these things will cause long term harm. Fortunately I hardly ever need the stuff now, but it doesn't come with a warning. Neither does Valerian. I don't normally quote DM for scientific evidence but this is an interesting article :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...-evidence.html

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top