Join for free
Page 6 of 15 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2018, 06:30 PM

Re: Why do mammograms ...

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
It is nothing to do with personalities Ruthio and, when I said "the rest of us", I was referring to a few people who have said that is the best option for them.

I know Realist has used the Cochrane Institute to verify many of his posts so I have previously looked into what they do. They are a group who look into many methods of medical practice, but if you want to find something that relates to your own health, it would be faster to read War and Peace in one sitting.

Nobody is saying that mammograms are !00% safe, just as many other medical practices can't be guaranteed so, but I don't think that Cochrane can guarantee that other methods will produce better results. I am also sure that there will be very few ladies, who are able to or wish to, travel long distances for breast cancer checks....mainly because the risk from a mammogram is too small to justify taking time off work or paying the cost of travelling on a regular basis. If Cochrane believe it is so important why don't they ask if they can offer alternative advice , via leaflets, at all breastcare centres?
If the NHS cannot afford the alternative methods, I am sure that many people would be unable to pay additional costs.

All I am saying is that Realist may believe what he reads but, if he wants others to listen, a brief description of what he is suggesting instead of long posts which are often critical of others, is not the way to convince people. If he really wants to make a difference, I am afraid that his long, drawn out posts are more likely to make many people just ignore what he is saying.
Bloody hell Twink .. that was a long read.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2018, 07:44 PM

Mort, you should have had one before you hit 54, all women get their invite between 50 and 54

You could ask at your GP surgery as to why you haven't received your invite
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2018, 07:46 PM

North Staffs Health Authority can be a little, how shall I say ... lax.
It's probably been overlooked.
I'll get on to it.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2018, 08:35 PM

About 3 years ago, l had an X-ray on my jaw at the hospital not the dentist. Then not long after, an X-ray on my chest.

Soon after, l had a letter to go for a Mammogram. I was concerned that l was being exposed to too much radiation in a short time.

I rang the Mammagram helpline and also my doctor to ask if l should cancel my mammogram.
Both assured me that the amount of radiation l was being exposed to was too small to do any harm.

After reading this thread, l am really worried now.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2018, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Yes I agree, it does hurt, and they say the bigger you are, the more it hurts.
LOL - let's just say mine were somewhat bigger when I came out than they were when I went in! Took all afternoon for the swelling to subside.

Originally Posted by Last Tango ->
However, a few years ago, I was advised by a friend to take a strong painkiller an hour before the procedure and can confirm that this helped.
I wish I had thought of that.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2018, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Hi Tabby, I don't know where you live nor even if you are in the UK or USA.

However there are clinics all over that can offer you Thermographic scans as an alternative to irradiating Mammograms.

In the UK for example there is this company (and many others):

https://medscans.co.uk/clinic-locator/

Put your postcode in and set the search radius to 1000 miles and it will show you everything in the UK.

If it's important enough to you then travelling to another town or city shouldn't be an issue TBH.
I am in the UK, Realist. Once again - thank you for the link. I had not heard about Thermographic Scans before. My nearest clinic would be either Pontefract or Huddersfield - which would mean expensive train travel - however - as my health is important to me it is something I would consider in the future.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2018, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
About 3 years ago, l had an X-ray on my jaw at the hospital not the dentist. Then not long after, an X-ray on my chest.

Soon after, l had a letter to go for a Mammogram. I was concerned that l was being exposed to too much radiation in a short time.

I rang the Mammagram helpline and also my doctor to ask if l should cancel my mammogram.
Both assured me that the amount of radiation l was being exposed to was too small to do any harm.

After reading this thread, l am really worried now.
Angel, take it from one who knows. Your doctor and the helpline people are perfectly correct. Decisions are taken based on a risk-benefit basis. There are people who have had far many X-ray examinations than the ones you mention, and they have been done on that clear basis.

I have already explained that people worry unnecessarily about ionising radiation. I have done (only last year) a research project on the levels of radiation on patients undergoing scoliosis (whole spine) examinations, and such people are examined on a regular basis during childhood. The figures I came up with regarding the likelihood of developing cancer, even for these patients who are exposed regularly at an early age, are vanishingly small.

Here is a brief article published by a reliable source which puts into perspective the levels of ionising radiation received by us all. There are many other such sources of information on a far more professional and academic level, but it depends just how deep you care to explore. I hope that sets your mind at rest.

https://www.phe-protectionservices.o...diationandyou/
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2018, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Angel, take it from one who knows. Your doctor and the helpline people are perfectly correct. Decisions are taken based on a risk-benefit basis. There are people who have had far many X-ray examinations than the ones you mention, and they have been done on that clear basis.

I have already explained that people worry unnecessarily about ionising radiation. I have done (only last year) a research project on the levels of radiation on patients undergoing scoliosis (whole spine) examinations, and such people are examined on a regular basis during childhood. The figures I came up with regarding the likelihood of developing cancer, even for these patients who are exposed regularly at an early age, are vanishingly small.

Here is a brief article published by a reliable source which puts into perspective the levels of ionising radiation received by us all. There are many other such sources of information on a far more professional and academic level, but it depends just how deep you care to explore. I hope that sets your mind at rest.

https://www.phe-protectionservices.o...diationandyou/
JBR, Thank You, for that interesting information. It looks like l am not doomed after all!!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2018, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I had not heard about Thermographic Scans before.
As I feared.

What this tells me is that the NHS is NOT being truthful with patients, is NOT giving people plain information about the harmful nature of Mammograms and is very clearly NOT interested in telling people about the far safer alternatives.

That is shocking, but frankly no surprise.

Baring all that in mind and also considering the ridiculous amounts of money and effort they put into pushing useless flu vaccines, I have to conclude that the NHS is under the clutches and control of greedy pharmaceuticals who are only interested in generating profit at the expense of people's health.

Mammograms actually CREATE breast cancer patients and that's good for their profits.

It should be illegal for the NHS to continue with Mammograms WITHOUT giving full facts to patients.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2018, 09:15 PM

Some information for those who are concerned:

http://breastcancernow.org/news-and-...-to-mammograms

http://wommen.org.uk/blog/2015/10/15...phy-the-risks/

Page 6 of 15 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top