Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
devon56
London
devon56 is male  devon56 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2016, 11:00 PM

Re: Ear wax

I have to get mine done by the nurse every 12 months or so.

I would not contemplate a DIY attempt at this. I figure the nurse knows far more about this than I do and would not risk damage to my hearing by using an unskilled operative (i.e. me!).

Get professional treatment otherwise you could end up deaf, with tinnitus or haemorrhage.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2016, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by devon56 ->
I have to get mine done by the nurse every 12 months or so.

I would not contemplate a DIY attempt at this. I figure the nurse knows far more about this than I do and would not risk damage to my hearing by using an unskilled operative (i.e. me!).

Get professional treatment otherwise you could end up deaf, with tinnitus or haemorrhage.
Pardon!
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2016, 09:41 PM

Sound advice.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2016, 10:06 PM

I've syringed my own ears a number of times now and have not suffered any further hearing loss and certainly not haemorrhage. As for tinnitus, I have had that for as long as I remember, and well before I began syringing.

As I said earlier, I am booked in for professional syringing on 19th January (that's after a seven week wait!), but the one important advantage to that as far as I'm concerned is that the 'syringe nurse' (if that's the correct title!) has the ability to look inside my ears to see how successful the syringing has been.

I believe that some places also have a 'vacuum cleaner device' for sucking out bits of wax, which sounds particularly effective.

(I have contorted my neck to the Nth degree but have so far come nowhere near to seeing inside my ears! I also tried using a mirror, but that wasn't much better. )
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2016, 03:55 PM

Oh 'ec, this thread made me remember the olive oil, which I've been forgetting to use lately

Still got wax but it's lessening. As it's popping near the surface, I've been removing some with my little finger nail (sorry to the sensitive souls)

In the end I got my daughter to order me the one Mags highlighted.
Will be using it when I've had a good old wack with the olive oil (on a regular basis) to soften the wax enough.

Originally Posted by mart ->
I use something that looks much the same as this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AcuLife-Ear.../dp/B000SOJXGA
Mart I do apologise .... I've only just spotted your input. Many thanks for that! On reflection I think I would feel more in control with the one I have. I could envisage me needing two hands for that one, but thanks again for contributing.

JBR... enjoy your experience on 19th Jan. What's that you say, 'hear, hear'?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2016, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I use something that looks much the same as this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AcuLife-Ear.../dp/B000SOJXGA
That's what my wife bought some time ago. The small attachment is good, as it provides two sprays at an angle so that the full blast of the syringe doesn't travel directly straight to the ear drum.

However, the syringe is far too small. I use the same attachment on a 60ml syringe which provides for a much greater flush.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

27-12-2016, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
JBR... enjoy your experience on 19th Jan. What's that you say, 'hear, hear'?
Pardon? Could you write a bit more loudly please?
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2016, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by jbr ->
pardon? Could you write a bit more loudly please?

write

Originally Posted by JBR ->
That's what my wife bought some time ago. The small attachment is good, as it provides two sprays at an angle so that the full blast of the syringe doesn't travel directly straight to the ear drum.

However, the syringe is far too small. I use the same attachment on a 60ml syringe which provides for a much greater flush.
See, this is what I struggle with when people remark about being careful introducing water into the ear.
My view is directing water (gently) to expel wax just fills the ear with water, which is only like going underwater where the ear fills with water.
So, I don't understand the difference spraying from an angle

edited
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2016, 04:28 PM

I recommend dynamite !
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

27-12-2016, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
See, this is what I struggle with when people remark about being careful introducing water into the ear.
My view is directing water (gently) to expel wax just fills the ear with water, which is only like going underwater where the ear fills with water.
So, I don't understand the difference spraying from an angle
Using this attachment, the water sprays are actually quite forceful jets which, presumably, apply physical pressure to the wax build-up without directly attacking the ear drum.

It worked for me, anyway, and a rather large clump of wax emerged and landed on the bottom of the bath.

(Yes, I did clean it up afterwards!)

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top