Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Vega
Europe
Vega is female  Vega has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2017, 06:46 AM

Senior Citizens Day

On August 19, 1988, President Ronald Reagan signed Proclamation 5847 declaring August 21 as National Senior Citizens Day.
Happy Senior Citizens Day !

Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2017, 01:58 PM

Re: Senior Citizens Day

God bless em, each an every one. .

tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2017, 02:22 PM

Myra Gallienne* was 100 years old on August 9th, she is still firing on all cylinders mentally. She saved my life from a bolting horse and cart when I was 2 years old in 1952. She was packing tomatoes at my father's vinery in my home island when she heard a commotion. I was walking up the long drive on which a horse and cart were standing, a low flying aircraft frightened the horse and it ran in my direction. Auntie Myra ran towards me and the bolting horse, picked me up and ran with me to our house. We both fell in through the door, which my mother had just opened as the horse and cart ran passed, with very little room to spare. Without Auntie Myra's very brave action I would not be here today to tell the tale.

Auntie Myra had a FANTASTIC birthday, she was pleased with her letter from the Queen, and the write up in the local paper including my contribution. She is the only one of her large family (10 siblings) to reach this great age. I have been telling her for ages that I would be most annoyed with her if she didn't make it, which made her laugh. I have now told her that I expect her to reach her next milestone 110!
Vega
Europe
Vega is female  Vega has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Myra Gallienne* was 100 years old on August 9th, she is still firing on all cylinders mentally. She saved my life from a bolting horse and cart when I was 2 years old in 1952. She was packing tomatoes at my father's vinery in my home island when she heard a commotion. I was walking up the long drive on which a horse and cart were standing, a low flying aircraft frightened the horse and it ran in my direction. Auntie Myra ran towards me and the bolting horse, picked me up and ran with me to our house. We both fell in through the door, which my mother had just opened as the horse and cart ran passed, with very little room to spare. Without Auntie Myra's very brave action I would not be here today to tell the tale.

Auntie Myra had a FANTASTIC birthday, she was pleased with her letter from the Queen, and the write up in the local paper including my contribution. She is the only one of her large family (10 siblings) to reach this great age. I have been telling her for ages that I would be most annoyed with her if she didn't make it, which made her laugh. I have now told her that I expect her to reach her next milestone 110!
Wonderful life story ....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 03:15 PM

So what is supposed to happen on "our day"?

Do someone throw a party for us? Are we taken out to dinner somewhere nice? Do they give us a pension increase?
Are there special greetings cards made for families to send us?

What is it all about?

Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->

lovely recall , long live your Auntie Myra
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
lovely recall , long live your Auntie Myra
I hope she goes on for more years yet, as long as she is firing on all cylinders. I give her the honorary title of 'Auntie', although she isn't actually a relative, as it was the polite thing to do when I was a child, it has continued even though I am an OAP.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 04:19 PM

At what age does one become a senior citizen these days?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
At what age does one become a senior citizen these days?

Good question Annie, they keep moving the goal posts.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 04:38 PM

When someone starts to call you dear or wants to help you cross the road

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top