Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 02:21 PM

Re: What's It Take To Retire Comfortably?

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
There aren`t enough hours in the day,
Funny you should say that Claire, that's what I've been saying to my wife Of course she can 'multi-task' whereas us blokes can't, can we
dragon
florida, usa
dragon is female  dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 02:29 PM

Retirement has always been a dirty word to me.
As an artist, who has always gotten out & about, I see no change in what I am doing now then what I did before I reached retirement age. Our economy maybe trashed here in States but see no reason to trash myself along with it.
I live simply & always have, never too much "stuff" to lug around, so I live where I wish. Too many folks reach retirement & just "crash". They even stop learning & that is a shame.
Getting out & taking pics. etc. is wonderful-keeps you in tune with life.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
you`re `aving a laugh! as we say in Essex. Time is the one thing I definitely don`t have enough of! There aren`t enough hours in the day, Bob.
There`s painting and courses and volunteering and dogs and chatting and gardening and running kids groups and reading and going out with friends and going places.
I certainly understand your lifestyle Clair but there another segment of seniors such as "empty nesters" or work-a-holics that go through lifestyle changes that leave them feeling empty, bored & depressed. That's where hobbies, travel, and an active social life become so very important. I know some wonderful volunteers who work at the Portland Zoo, The Portland Rose Garden & the Japanese Garden. They lead rich, productive lives doing something they love while making visitors feel welcome.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by dragon ->
Retirement has always been a dirty word to me.
As an artist, who has always gotten out & about, I see no change in what I am doing now then what I did before I reached retirement age. Our economy maybe trashed here in States but see no reason to trash myself along with it.
I live simply & always have, never too much "stuff" to lug around, so I live where I wish. Too many folks reach retirement & just "crash". They even stop learning & that is a shame.
Getting out & taking pics. etc. is wonderful-keeps you in tune with life.
I mentioned somewhere here that I was a fine arts major in college. I used to love to draw when I was in high school. I got good enough that I had a representative from the Chicago Art Institute visit my home in St. Louis, Missouri and offer me a free scholarship to his school. My German born parents didn't see art as a profession so that never happened but I use my gift in other ways, including photography. I'm more passionate today than ever & photography will take a lifetime to master.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 03:04 PM

Our retirement was planned from an early age. After seeing my parents getting older and retiremen looming in the distance I took advice and started planning my pension fund.

Took out private pension funds which I planned would pay the tax on the other incomes I would have and so today we have no money worries, in fact the only worry we have is waking up in a morning.

Paid off the mortgage early and still kept putting the mortgage money into investments.

We did a lot of travelling in the first two years and then stopped our foreign travel and concentrated on the UK places we want to see.

Social life is more than we planned for but hey! who cares life is for enjoying.

Hobbies are the same as we have always had only the kids bedrooms have been made into study's so the we each have our own space when we need it in a sort of way.

I used to design things as part of my work so the software programs I have still come in useful for designing things for family and neighbours.

Astronomy can be very rewarding if you dont mind going out late at night.

You could still make things like model aircraft or ships if you are dexterous with your hands.
dragon
florida, usa
dragon is female  dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 03:08 PM

No gift is ever truly mastered Bob! That's why we keep working at it.
Every day is but a small step forward. My dad wasn't keen on me being an artists till I was old enough to sit him down & had a heart to heart with him:
"The chair your sitting in was from the imagination of a dreamer and then an artist brought it to life." He had no choice but to agree on that score, but still didn't want me to be an artist.
bobmielke
Portland, OR

22-01-2011, 03:12 PM

During our 8 month rainy season two of my three hobbies are subdued somewhat. I jump at the opportunity to grab my camera when there are dry days forecast. Really beautiful weather doesn't happen here until July when the rain stops. There are festivals everywhere in Oregon. There aren't enough hours in the day to visit them all, but I try. I'm having way too much fun in my retirement that one person can stand.
bobmielke
Portland, OR

22-01-2011, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by dragon ->
No gift is ever truly mastered Bob! That's why we keep working at it.
Every day is but a small step forward. My dad wasn't keen on me being an artists till I was old enough to sit him down & had a heart to heart with him:
"The chair your sitting in was from the imagination of a dreamer and then an artist brought it to life." He had no choice but to agree on that score, but still didn't want me to be an artist.
I don't regret my path in life as it was chosen for me by God. I am who I am today because of every day of my life to this point. Please, hold your applause until the show is over. LOL

Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by bobmielke ->
How have you dealt with retirement? Consider every aspect like planning, debt, health, housing, finances, hobbies, entertainment, travel, social activities.
My husband retired several years before I retired which was 18mths. ago.
We have done the planning bit as best we could, have no debt/finance or housing problems.
As far as health is concerned, we have done what is within our control and now have our fingers crossed.
Hobbies, travel and social/entertainment activities are a work in progress and probably will remain so.
Some plans have been modified somewhat as we now find oursleves with more childminding duties than we really want and we used some of our capital to help one of our children recently which may affect us a bit (but not badly) in the future.
All in all though, once you get used to it, retirement is OK - but I think it is easier for women because they never actually stop working and retire - do they?
bobmielke
Portland, OR

22-01-2011, 04:12 PM

Health is always a top priority whether it involves retirement or not. It's sad to say I've had family members drastically affected by a sudden death of a spouse. Retirement changed instantly when my sister and her husband, Joe, discovered their youngest daughter, unmarried, had a child by a man now doing a life sentence in jail. They used up most of their savings caring for another family of 4 for 15 years. Now that Joe suddenly passed away my sister is alone with little money & a huge house to maintain. You can't always plan for any contingency but the need to start early in life saving for retirement is a must. I only started 5 years ago with my last job but was able to put away enough to retire now.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top