Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2013, 10:43 AM

Re: What's It Take To Retire Comfortably?

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon ->
The worst thing is having settled into your rut and managed to sort out your affairs so that you are self sufficient and not a burden on anyone, is to then see your children and even grandchildren struggling with the Countries economic and employment difficulties.
It's more likely to be me that does the struggling Curmudgeon, my son's fine.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2013, 12:44 PM

Lot's of money so one can continue with their present or expected lifestyle. Money should be positioned so you can draw off 4-5% a year and continue to grow your principle. You need to figure out how much yearly income you need. Figure in pensions and Social Security.. and then figure how much money you need in savings to meet your needs.. or wants.. easy peasy...
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2013, 01:51 PM

That's fine and that's what I tried to do, but growing your principle while drawing down 4 - 5% annually is not easy at present.
In the UK, most savings accounts only yield a few percent. I've gone for FTSE based equity bonds which I bought at the bottom of the market.

I think that you will have to use up some of your savings until all your pensions are coming in. If you've planned reasonably well and had a bit of luck, your pensions and investments should keep you going and your remaining savings will form a safety net.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2013, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
That's fine and that's what I tried to do, but growing your principle while drawing down 4 - 5% annually is not easy at present.
In the UK, most savings accounts only yield a few percent. I've gone for FTSE based equity bonds which I bought at the bottom of the market.

I think that you will have to use up some of your savings until all your pensions are coming in. If you've planned reasonably well and had a bit of luck, your pensions and investments should keep you going and your remaining savings will form a safety net.
Obviously no one is going to grow savings by the amount needed by having money in Savings accounts.. and CDs. One needs to be in money market accounts and the stock market... which always outperforms savings and CDs. I think a return of 7 or 8% is not unreasonable.. BUT.. you have to look at the long term. Being in the market is much like playing with a Yo-Yo.. while walking up a flight of stairs. Some quarters you are down.. some up.. but the overall average is what counts.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2013, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by bobmielke ->
Losos: One of my hobbies in my past was woodworking. I used to make anything out of wood such as furniture, coat & hat racks, Bathroom & kitchen goodies like spice rack, towel bars, medicine cabinets & light fixtures. The hobby was very fulfilling but has to be a thing of the past now because of where I live.
Try carving Bob, you can do that anywhere!
If you have the feel for wood, and a good eye, should be no hardship to you.
I think a good hobby is essential, I started out by fitting out a complete workshop, but because of heart and RA problems, turned to a bit of photography.
Not much fun getting old, my birthday is 9/11 not a good day to remember, but one we should never forget.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top