Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2012, 01:46 AM

Diabetic Life Change

I've been a Type II Diabetic for 7 years. Most of the time my blood sugar was under control, checking in with an A1C of 6.5. Six months ago things started going sour. No matter what I did my blood sugar numbers started rising. My doctor doubled my two medications, Glipizide & Metformin. To my dismay my last A1C test jumped to 10.8. I've been checking my blood sugar daily, exercising to the point where I've lost 10 pounds in the past month. Still, I'm just barely holding the numbers down.

My new doctor claims it might have something to do with my liver. Blood tests and then an ultrascan revealed scar tissue and areas that were enlarged. I'm being scheduled for a Ctscan to see if the cause can be determined.

In the meantime I'm being put on injectable insulin in addition to the pill medication I've been taking for 7 years. My diet is very strict, I continue losing weight. If nothing else all this effort has my blood pressure down to 113/68, the best in 20 years.

I don't know the future holds for me but I'm going to kick this snag if it kills me. LOL
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2012, 09:01 AM

Re: Diabetic Life Change

Sorry to hear of your health problem Bob, but you sound determined. Once they get the insulin regimen sorted out for you and your diabetes becomes stabilised again you will probably be able to cope with the new regime and will manage your diabetes very well - like you did before. Maybe this is just a transitionary hiccup. There will probably be a dedicated diabetes centre at your local hospital or clinic - perhaps your GP will refer you. I hope things improve for you soon.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2012, 09:02 AM

You certainly have the right attitude towards it.
Good luck with getting it under control.
My husband has the type11. He attends clinic on a regular basis and has his eyes and feet checked.
His is under control at the moment.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2012, 11:09 AM

Sorry to hear that Bob but you are not alone. The problem is usually that certain cells decline over the years and there comes a critical point where you are either resistent to endogenous insulin or not producing enough. I hope you adapt comfortably to the new regime.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2012, 11:25 AM

Sorry to hear that news Bob, but you have the right outlook on the problem and you'll beat this, you're a tough old soldier. The best of luck to you.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2012, 12:15 PM

I'm being cared for by the Veteran Medical Center. You can't get any better care than that. They don't concern themselves with the cost as it's out government who is paying for military veterans like me. I've gone two years since my layoff with no medical coverage at all. My savings were eaten up by medical bills. When I ran out of money my doctor kicked me out and suggested a clinic. It's all about money for them, not the Veterans Administration.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2012, 04:16 PM

Good luck Bob, hope you get the better of it,let it know who is Boss.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2012, 11:00 PM

Sorry to hear that Bob, you are a tough cookie with the right attitude ..... all the best to you!
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2012, 11:24 PM

I too am a T2 diabetic for the last 7 years My A1c was 18 when i diagnosed it has been steady at between 5.7 and 7.5 since on metformin 2x500mg twice a day...My doctor told me off for doing daily blood tests because of the cost of strips so i don't know from day to day what is going on ...I have however had a lot off problems with my cholesterol meds..i was on statins for about 6 years and wondered why i was in so much pain until i found out it was the statins ....they tried 3/4 different ones but i had probs with all of them .....they did find a drug which didn't affect me but this year they changed it again ..because of the cost i am now trialing another one it is important to keep on something that works as between the messing about with different statins i had 2 strokes on my optic nerves...I don't want that to happen again as it will finish my driving career...I hope this new drug works ...still it is just another health problem i have to deal with ...so i just get on with it like yourself ....
bobmielke
Portland, OR

08-06-2012, 12:19 AM

UKMartian - I have no issues with cholesterol. My HDL is 38 & LDL is 59 without drugs. My BP is 116/68 with meds. I'm going to add a small dosage of injectable insulin to my Metformin & Glipizide.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top