Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2015, 11:03 AM

Re: Do you beliebve in alternative medicine?

I think that the term "alternative medicine" is so wide that it is impossible to have a blanket response to the question. The proof of the pudding for alternative therapies is definitely in the eating.
30 odd years ago I had a bad fall while rockclimbing - the cuts and bruises soon healed but I was left with excruciating back and leg pain. My doctor prescribed stronger and stronger painkillers and "rest" - the painkillers made me feel like a zombie with a hangover (spaced out with constant nausea) and "rest" was part of the problem. I could still run around and play sport, jump and even climb. What I could not do, was to sit or lie still for more than a few seconds before the knifelike pain set in. This went on for almost two years - with referrals to consultants, different painkillers etc. Eventually, my boss at work (who was probably sick of seeing me working while standing up or walking around the office) suggested that I visit her osteopath who had successfully sorted out her back problems. I was very cynical, but for only £15 a session (at the time) I thought it was worth a gamble. Three one hour sessions of painful manipulation, massage and what felt like several rounds of all-in wrestling later, I was pain free and have remained so ever since. As a result, I'm still cynical about many aspects of "alternative medicine", but osteopathy gets my vote every time.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2015, 11:46 AM

[QUOTE=Mups;643171]
Originally Posted by maursey ->
Patsy said...".I do believe in reflexology - have yer feet massaged and just see how much better you feel
Also, if you are not sleeping try moving yer toes, I keep forgetting to try that "......

Must give that a try. Any other remedies for not sleeping?[/QUOTE]

You could try a large glass of wine.

Seriously though maursey, I can easily nod off if I either read, or do some Yoga deep breathing.

Also, sometimes its more appropriate to call it "Complimentary Medicine' rather than 'Alternative.'
'Complimentary' meaning it can work along side and compliment orthodox medicine rather than be 'Instead' of orthodox medicine.
For example, you can still have Acupuncture or Reflexology whilst taking your 'normal' pills, NOT instead of. Hence 'Complimentary' rather than 'Alternative.'

I also believe that some people expect miracles, and because a certain treatment doesn't work first time, they say it was rubbish because they don't feel any different.
Some conditions can take months or even years to manifest, so often cannot be 'removed' instantly.
Secondly, some practitioners are better at their work than others (just like GP's). So don't always condemn the treatment, because sometimes a different practitioner can get better results.
It's not as cut and dry as people think, and if they took the trouble to learn what its about BEFORE they went, they might be able to make a more appropriate choice, instead of condemning all therapists.
Great post!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2015, 03:42 PM

Thanks, me old china.
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2015, 03:56 PM

My dog had Spondylosis and i paid a fortune for her to have acupuncture, at the time her back legs were useless she was just dragging her back end ...it was very sad to she her struggle and we were on the point of having an other wise healthy 4 year old dog but to sleep . my vet told me of a chap who worked with dogs with this problem so we went to see him. she had 6 treatments and gained the use of her back legs again , and lived until she was 18 with just a few odd limps only needing pain killers ...so you cant tell me the dog knew and it was all in her mind ...I then went on to have treatments on elbow , back and knee... some worked some didnt , i think its dont to the skill of the person doing it and being lucky in getting the right place ....
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2015, 03:59 PM

A good positive experience Nobaggage. I'm glad it worked for your beloved dog.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2015, 03:59 PM

Well done Baggy. Good post.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2015, 04:42 PM

For months my husband went to an acupuncturist who trained for 10 years in china, it cost a small fortune and did nothing at all to alleviate his pain.

I was sent to an acupuncturist with my thumb, she hit a nerve with a needle and the pain was excruciating and lasted for days. I never went near her again but used heat/compession/elevation and the thumb got better.

Some conditions improve or get better on their own and this can be incorrectly attributed some pill/potion/treatment when the truth is time was the healer.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2015, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I'm still cynical about many aspects of "alternative medicine", but osteopathy gets my vote every time.
Osteopathy, although not widely, is available on the NHS in some areas.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

29-04-2015, 10:33 PM

[QUOTE=MickB;643297]I think that the term "alternative medicine" is so wide that it is impossible to have a blanket response to the question. The proof of the pudding for alternative therapies is definitely in the eating.
30 odd years ago I had a bad fall while rockclimbing - the cuts and bruises soon healed but I was left with excruciating back and leg pain. My doctor prescribed stronger and stronger painkillers and "rest" - the painkillers made me feel like a zombie with a hangover (spaced out with constant nausea) and "rest" was part of the problem. I could still run around and play sport, jump and even climb. What I could not do, was to sit or lie still for more than a few seconds before the knifelike pain set in. This went on for almost two years - with referrals to consultants, different painkillers etc. Eventually, my boss at work (who was probably sick of seeing me working while standing up or walking around the office) suggested that I visit her osteopath who had successfully sorted out her back problems. I was very cynical, but for only £15 a session (at the time) I thought it was worth a gamble. Three one hour sessions of painful manipulation, massage and what felt like several rounds of all-in wrestling later, I was pain free and have remained so ever since. As a result,I'm still cynical about many aspects of "alternative medicine", but osteopathy gets my vote every time.[/QUOTE]

Glad it worked for you Mick.
Personally I prefer Chiropractic, (the MacTimoney method), its so much gentler.
The last thing I want if I hurt my back is somebody bending me about and cracking my bones, and I really hate it when they twist your neck! There is none of that malarkey with a MacTimoney practitioner. I'm a coward.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2015, 12:02 AM

While I don't believe in rubbish like homoeopathy and spiritual healing, or the even more laughable crystal healing fad, obviously some plants and herbs do help. That's not so much alternative medicine as the basis for modern, refined medications. They still work, as they have done for hundreds of years. I only use them in conjunction with modern medications though.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top