Join for free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 10:38 AM

I wonder if it's taught in schools

The Holocaust

I wonder if it's taught in schools and how.

Amazesd to find 60% of Americans don't even know what and where is Auchwitz

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2...they-dont-care
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 10:45 AM

Re: I wonder if it's taught in schools

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
The Holocaust

Many Americans seem to be rather ignorant of things that have happened in other countries!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 10:48 AM

It's definitely taught in schools in Germany, which is the most important thing. A German friend of a similar age said that it was constantly emphasised when she was growing up.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 11:04 AM

The Germans I have known in life were all lovely people and the subject never was spoken off but once when it referred to as 'the catastrophe '.
What is so awful is that it is still living history and so many people did know about it.
But it's retreat in time has coincided with the rise in anti semitism history seems to have taught people nothing .

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/feb/17/johnezard
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 11:09 AM

I know its taught in schools here and one of the school trips is a visit to Auschwitz

Im also pretty certain that Schindler's list has been put on the curriculum of compulsory viewing/reading
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 11:18 AM

The Holocaust

That doesn't surprise me, most Americans couldn't find their way beyond New York.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 11:41 AM

The Germans I have known in life were all lovely people and the subject never was spoken off but once when it referred to as 'the catastrophe '.
What is so awful is that it is still living history and so many people did know about it.
But it's retreat in time has coincided with the rise in anti semitism history seems to have taught people nothing .
I don't see what's happening now as anti-semitism or likely to lead to another holocaust. There is political anger towards Israel which is being badged as anti-semitism. The pre-WWII persecution of Jews was a very different movement.

But at the end of the day Germans were the perpetrators of the Holocaust. Yes they can brush it under the carpet as a "catastrophe" but that's just like having an orchestra by the gas chambers to drown out the screams. I cannot see anything like this happening again while Germany is kept aware of the horrific reality rather than a fantasy of a "catastrophe".
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

21-04-2018, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
I know its taught in schools here and one of the school trips is a visit to Auschwitz

Im also pretty certain that Schindler's list has been put on the curriculum of compulsory viewing/reading
That's a strange choice of literature to represent the Holocaust. But when most here were at school it wasn't on the curriculum. I remember learning the full horrors because of the TV mini-series in the early 80s.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I don't see what's happening now as anti-semitism or likely to lead to another holocaust. There is political anger towards Israel which is being badged as anti-semitism. The pre-WWII persecution of Jews was a very different movement.

But at the end of the day Germans were the perpetrators of the Holocaust. Yes they can brush it under the carpet as a "catastrophe" but that's just like having an orchestra by the gas chambers to drown out the screams. I cannot see anything like this happening again while Germany is kept aware of the horrific reality rather than a fantasy of a "catastrophe".
The Holocaust was one of the most despicable episodes in history, as I am sure any decent German would agree. I cannot understand why there are some idiots who are Holocaust deniers when there is so much verifiable evidence to support it. However, it does not excuse the behaviour of the present regime in Israel, which is supported by the idiot in the White House.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 11:53 AM

Wars teach Americans geography

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top