Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 06:53 PM

We've Been Conned!!

Fuming! I am so disappointed! I usually get most of my fruit and veg from my local greengrocer, but Tesco was advertising Jersey Royal potatoes at half price, so stupidly, bought from them instead. YUK! They were disgusting. Nothing like the Jersey Royal is meant to taste.

What on earth has happened to the taste of those once beautiful Jersey Royal potatoes that most people longed for the season to be here, just so they could look forward to the easy scraping and divine taste? when they first went on sale in our shops. I was always first in the queue. They were so yum, one only had to touch them for the skins to fall away, They really had the most beautiful, distinctive taste that let you know they were indeed the genuine Jersey Royal? I loved them so much, all sense went out of the window when it came to paying money for them and the bag to help myself would always be overflowing in the end, didn’t care, Jersey Royals with a knob of real butter couldn’t be beaten.

However, the crappy potatoes they class as Jersey Royals now are a disgrace! I have always known that growers in Jersey grow the potatoes on slopes with seaweed mixed in when planting. But guess what? No longer grown with seaweed! In fact, the vile potatoes sold as JR’s could have been grown literally anywhere!.

So no more Jersey Royals for me. I have bought Pembrokeshire new potatoes instead. They are lovely, as are the Charlottes when they come into season.

Such a shame. Has anyone else been disappointed with the taste of JR’s?
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 07:00 PM

Re: We've Been Conned!!

Had this same discussion last night

Mum went and bought taste the difference JR and was so excited

I cooked them and served them to her and hubby and hubby said they were disgusting soapy horrible things, nothing like he remembered me getting excited about 30 years ago

They looked nothing like JR’s even

When I worked for Sainsbury’s as produce manager the JRs were a tiny season, 2 or 3 weeks max. They came in sacks of compost and we had to sieve them out to put on sale. If there were any left at the end of the day, they were covered in the compost to stop the light from killing them

The skins were paper thin and rubbed off and the flavour was something you looked forward too

What passes as JRs now, I personally wouldn’t touch with a barge pole
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 07:04 PM

Oh calamity!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 07:12 PM

There were warnings at the start of 2018 regarding Jersey Potatoes. They concerned the fact that many Polish workers who used to pick the potatoes were leaving the island as a result of BrExit. Thus there were warnings that the potatoes would be left rotting in the fields.

Then to make matters worse the island suffered adverse weather conditions. They had heavy rain and then freezing temperatures which delayed the planting.

More about it here:

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2...n-in-40-years/

For me personally the very best tasting spuds have been Charlottes that I grew myself in pots on the patio.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 07:39 PM

I wonder why they have stopped using the seaweed mulch. I am sure it was that which gave them their flavour.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 07:59 PM

I eat 'reds' throughout the year for everything - chips, baked, roast and boiled potatoes. Very seldom I've been disappointed.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Oh calamity!
You be quiet and stick to your Cadbury's Smash.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
You be quiet and stick to your Cadbury's Smash.
They peel them with their metal knives and they smash them all to bits hawhawhaw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SAbJjktk7E
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2018, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
They peel them with their metal knives and they smash them all to bits hawhawhaw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SAbJjktk7E
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2018, 10:49 AM

I am a charlatan,a scoundrel and a disgrace to society.

WHY?

...'coz I don't give a hoot WHERE my spuds come from or WHAT fancy name they're given. Mass-produced spuds taste yuk...full stop. So bring back Yeoman mash! [the Maris Piper,natch,is not included in this rant]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top