Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2016, 05:30 PM

Have you locked your car.

This could be classed as a money saving tip. In fact it could save you a lot more.
There is a scam that I have been told about. You lock your car with a the key fob, you see the lights flash, and off you go to do what you need to do.
But you have not locked the car. Close by there are some toe- rags that have a jamming device, that stops your car from locking.
Once out of sight, they are into the car, helping them selfs to your valuables.
This happened to my son last night. He stopped to go to the loo. Came back and found his gym bag gone as was his loose change bag and sunglasses.
Police say it is a new thing doing the rounds.
The gym bag with the smelly kit was handed in to the police already.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2016, 05:36 PM

Re: Have you locked your car.

Interesting I usually lock mine with the key, the fob doesn't always work and better to just use the key first time than stand there pressing pressing pressing from different angles trying to get it to work !
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2016, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
This could be classed as a money saving tip. In fact it could save you a lot more.
There is a scam that I have been told about. You lock your car with a the key fob, you see the lights flash, and off you go to do what you need to do.
But you have not locked the car. Close by there are some toe- rags that have a jamming device, that stops your car from locking.
Once out of sight, they are into the car, helping them selfs to your valuables.
This happened to my son last night. He stopped to go to the loo. Came back and found his gym bag gone as was his loose change bag and sunglasses.
Police say it is a new thing doing the rounds.
The gym bag with the smelly kit was handed in to the police already.
There's also a code reader that copies your remote.

I'm that fed up with scrotes breaking into my vans thinking there are tools left in that I don't lock them at night.

I bet it's saved me about £2k a year on replacement locks.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2016, 05:52 PM

Whatever will they think of next.
No doubt it is clever, but if only these people put such brains to good uses instead of bad, we could all be so much better off.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2016, 06:18 PM

This device has been around for a while, it used to be used on top end cars stolen to order and shipped abroad, it uses a scanner to obtain your fob code as you lock your doors ( the people using it have to be fairly close to read the code) I think now, on expensive luxury cars the vehicle uses a rolling code so its different every time you lock/unlock your car so if your fob code is read as you lock your car, it will be different when you unlock next time, thus its harder to obtain your code, not sure if mainstream manufactures use it on "ordinary" cars
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2016, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
This device has been around for a while, it used to be used on top end cars stolen to order and shipped abroad, it uses a scanner to obtain your fob code as you lock your doors ( the people using it have to be fairly close to read the code) I think now, on expensive luxury cars the vehicle uses a rolling code so its different every time you lock/unlock your car so if your fob code is read as you lock your car, it will be different when you unlock next time, thus its harder to obtain your code, not sure if mainstream manufactures use it on "ordinary" cars
This is a system that's an expensive extra on new Mercedes(sub £55k)
At £1400 extra it's not cheap but an insurance 'must have' on mine.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2016, 08:30 PM

Thats quite worrying Emjay.....I often dont check to see if my doors are really locked when I have locked them using my key fob.....I shall have to check from now on.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2016, 09:41 PM

I have a 'ghost car', sometimes when I walk past it taking Chloe for a walk I hear it unlock itself....

The keys are nowhere near, they are in a basket in the hall .
This often happens I am used to it now...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2016, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
I usually check that the buttons are down on each of the doors. Of course, if some yobs have copied the code they'd still be able to get in.

Mind you, there's nothing worth having in there, I have a crook-lock on the steering wheel, and the thing's a tatty thirteen-year-old Skoda!
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2016, 09:49 PM

A few days ago, pure coincidence, I watch a docu on a German TV channel where a reporter went to a big ish company and (with permission) walked down their car park and unlocked cars when their owners appeared. Quite scary...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top