Join for free
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2017, 08:05 PM

Any ideas please

Henry my 4 year old Cavapoo has a very sensitive stomach and i think it maybe the food i feed him on so going to look for a new brand. The food he is on at the moment is StepUp a dried food maybe its to rich for him. Have any off your Canine friends had this problem if so how did you sort it? I would never give him tinned dog food as you never know what rubbish has been added to it.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2017, 08:22 PM

Re: Any ideas please

Hi Doc
Ive sent you a pm (Re Dog Food) ...hope you manage to find something that suits Henry .
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2017, 09:07 PM

Hi Doc, in what way does Henry have a sensitive stomach , can you describe the problem.

Check out allaboutdogfood.co.uk for a comprehensive list of dog food and the content. Generally dogs are best with a minimum of grain products and fillers that are mostly found in cheap food. You get what you pay for.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2017, 09:12 PM

A good food for sensitive tummies is Simpsons Premium Sensitive Adult Dog - Salmon & Potato

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/d...nsitive/360302

Other manufactures make a fish and potato or rice food that is good for tummies ..
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2017, 09:34 PM

I've been using 'Barking Heads Fusspot' for a while now. It is Salmon & Sweet Potato, Meg.
Mine seem fine on that, though I mix small amounts of other things in with it, I don't just feed dry.

I used 'Green Dog' dog food for years, reared the pups on it too, very good food, but not easy to get hold of. They are only a small company, so can't supply the big shops, I had to send off for it all the time.
Nearly £50 for a 12 k bag. Mind you, all the better foods are expensive aren't they.
Actually, I might change back soon, as Barking Heads is nearer £60 per bag now!

I agree that cheap foods are cheap for a reason!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2017, 11:19 PM

we back down if our dogs had stomach problems. Our answer was starve for a day then build them up with chicken and rice. Something that is gentle on the stomach and then gradually change back to what they normally had. worked every time for us.
With any dried food be aware it may well swell up and cause gastric torsion (usually in larger dogs)
We always advise , put a bit in a bowl/cup full of warm water and test the expansion first. This simulates what can happen in a dogs stomach
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

27-12-2017, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I've been using 'Barking Heads Fusspot' for a while now. It is Salmon & Sweet Potato, Meg.
Mine seem fine on that, though I mix small amounts of other things in with it, I don't just feed dry.

I used 'Green Dog' dog food for years, reared the pups on it too, very good food, but not easy to get hold of. They are only a small company, so can't supply the big shops, I had to send off for it all the time.
Nearly £50 for a 12 k bag. Mind you, all the better foods are expensive aren't they.
Actually, I might change back soon, as Barking Heads is nearer £60 per bag now!

I agree that cheap foods are cheap for a reason!
That sounds good Mups and I have heard good reports about Green Dog Grain Free Chicken with Vegetables but haven't tried it myself.

Chloe has BDS and has to have a small meal 4 times a day,
if her tummy becomes empty she will be sick . I use a variety of foods including fresh fish and chicken thighs.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2017, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
we back down if our dogs had stomach problems. Our answer was starve for a day then build them up with chicken and rice. Something that is gentle on the stomach and then gradually change back to what they normally had. worked every time for us.
With any dried food be aware it may well swell up and cause gastric torsion (usually in larger dogs)
We always advise , put a bit in a bowl/cup full of warm water and test the expansion first. This simulates what can happen in a dogs stomach

With reference to the swelling of dry food Bazza, you are right - BUT, in my experience it is only the cheap foods that do that because of the rubbish contents.

I have done the test you talk about many times, but have never had the better quality foods swell anything like the cheap, dodgy ones, in fact they stay virtually the same when soaked.

As you say, gastric torsion is an emergency, day or night, but more likely to happen in the deep chested dogs as you know.
It happened only once to me, in one of my GSD's.
Luckily I knew the symptoms and shot off to the vet immediately, where she was operated on straightaway.
She was one of the lucky ones and survived.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top