Join for free
Page 2 of 27 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
twizzle
somerset
twizzle is female  twizzle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2018, 12:35 PM

Re: Britain could leave the Bloc and do things better!

Originally Posted by Logan ->

It will take the UK years and years to emerge from a hard Brexit, to renegotiate trade deals with the rest of the world and advantages cut both ways for countries. Most other countries would know the UK was on the back foot and desperate to cut deals and the vultures will hover.

Even seriously considering a Brexit without a deal is unthinkable and potentially as catastrophic for the UK as WW11.
Exactly. Except that I don't think the UK would ever emerge from it, however many years went by.

Why would the rest of the world bother with Brexitland when the have the already established EU and other countries to trade with? Other than to take advantage of the UKs vulnerable position and desparate need for trade? A bleak future of begging for disadvantageous trade deals because that's all that will be on offer, with no prospect of it ever improving. Brexit will diminish the UK's standing in the world permanently.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2018, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Swimmy I heard a discussion by a number of scientist saying the Medicines Agency is outdated anyway with its concentration on pharmaceuticals.
Leaving the EU gives us the opportunity to set up something better with a higher concentration on biomedical science which is seen as the future of medicine by many and in which we are leaders in the field .
Hi

A valid point Meg.

My concern is that if we do not get these up and running before we leave the big Pharmaceuticals and Chemical Companies here in the UK will just relocate HQ to the EU.

I loathe the thought of giving Juncker and co money.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2018, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by twizzle ->
Exactly. Except that I don't think the UK would ever emerge from it, however many years went by.

Why would the rest of the world bother with Brexitland when the have the already established EU and other countries to trade with? Other than to take advantage of the UKs vulnerable position and desparate need for trade? A bleak future of begging for disadvantageous trade deals because that's all that will be on offer, with no prospect of it ever improving. Brexit will diminish the UK's standing in the world permanently.
Hi

I am not as negative as you and I certainly do not want to be part of an EU Superstate

As for our standing in the World,that is changing anyway, the new economies are growing fast and would have overtaken us anyway.

I do not want us to be world player,spending a fortune on wars and foreign aid.

I want us to look after our own and make the quality of life here in the UK better.
twizzle
somerset
twizzle is female  twizzle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2018, 12:48 PM

And how do you think having to accept disadvantageous trade deals and impoverishing our country will help us look after our own and improve the quality of life here?

You've often said that Brexit will have a negative impact on our economy, so where's the money for all this coming from?
twizzle
somerset

11-03-2018, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

A valid point Meg.

My concern is that if we do not get these up and running before we leave the big Pharmaceuticals and Chemical Companies here in the UK will just relocate HQ to the EU.

I loathe the thought of giving Juncker and co money.
Not just Pharmaceuticals and Chemical Companies. Why would businesses in all areas hang around for the Brexiters to get their own agencies established when there are perfectly good EU agencies they can use now by relocating to EU countries?

Arrogant to assume the Brexiters could create better agencies than the EU's anyway. They will also be working to improve and are already established . If the agencies need changing and imroving we should stay and improve them from within, not try to re-invent the wheel.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

11-03-2018, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by twizzle ->
And how do you think having to accept disadvantageous trade deals and impoverishing our country will help us look after our own and improve the quality of life here?

You've often said that Brexit will have a negative impact on our economy, so where's the money for all this coming from?
Hi

I remain of the opinion that in the short to medium term Brexit will cost.

The UK is London centered, our economy is determined by the Financial Services Industry, which got us into this mess.

We need to change and change dramatically and that is down to us and the Governments we choose.

The EU Army?

No thanks,if they want to pick a fight with Russia,fine,but they pay for it,not the UK.

Germany and Luxembourg can up their payments to NATO, not ride on our backs.

Germany can up their Foreign Aid payments as well, it was Merkel who opened the Borders without any consultation.

I have principles, money is not everything, I have left an very well paid job because of them.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2018, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Logan ->
Consider yourselves for a moment what leaving the EU without a deal actually means.

It means no agreement period on any of the outstanding issues because everything is interlinked. Everything so far agreed is conditional on the final legal text agreement. No agreement means nothing, nada, zilch.

No agreement on citizen rights
Hard border for Ireland
Expats in Europe without status or healthcare since these things are conditional and bi-laterally agreed because of EU membership status.
Collapse of Sterling
Massive inflation on imported goods in UK
Recession in UK due to trade agreements reverting to WTO rules.
And the sky will fall down.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2018, 01:40 PM

I see no point in trying to reason with the remainiacs. They will never support Brexit, which means we shall have to fight the enemy within as well as the EU dictators who want to take advantage of this country.

One of two things will happen. Either we shall walk away, just as many of us wish, or we shall be sold down the river by our weak politicians, no doubt for their own benefit.

To be honest, if it turns out to be the latter scenario I don't suppose it will make too much difference to me. It is our young people who will reap the whirlwind but, then, aren't they the ones who want to remain under the jackboot?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

11-03-2018, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
And the sky will fall down.
Hi

We are still in the EU,so the sky will not fall down.

We are however paying more for Imported goods, petrol etc and computers in particular ,due to the fall in the £.

There is a price to pay for Brexit,and I firmly believe that we should all pay it, Pensioners included.

It will not be permanent,but everyone should pay.
Logan
Spain
Logan is male 

12-03-2018, 12:06 PM

I have been paying a price since the referendum via a weaken currency but that's my fault being an expat and unable to vote.

The statement that "money isn't everything" is always made by they who have never had nothing.

I remember the time before Britain joined the EU. The country was on it's knees and Mr Healy went cap in hand to the IMF for support.

EU membership is directly responsible for the steady and relative prosperity the UK has enjoyed in the last thirty years.

40% of Brexiteers are aged over 60. History will repeat itself in the future. Britain back to the seventies and the Brexit supporters gone. A new generation of young people will seek to return to the EU except on far less generous terms.

That is the unnecessary damage people have done because of a hatred of immigrants. They will not be forgiven so easily

Quote: Brexit vote was 'driven by nostalgia' for a world where 'faces were white', Sir Vince Cable 11 March 2018

Page 2 of 27 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top