Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 02:35 PM

TV Remote

This morning, my remote wouldn't work on the kitchen telly, I couldn't even turn it on.

I had only changed the batteries about a week ago, but changed them again to make sure they were OK, but it still made no difference.
I went right up close to the telly and kept pressing, and eventually it came on - but then I couldn't change channnel, alter the sound, or turn it off again!

After looking at the handbook troubleshooting pages, it said to\;
1. Change the batteries.
2. Clean the sensor's transmission window on the remote.
3. Try again from 1.5 metres away.

I didn't know what the 'sensor transmission window' was, is it the little thing on the top end that looks like a tiny light bulb please?

Also, although it seems to be going again at the mo, if it did pack up, how would I turn the tv off?

Thanks very much.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 03:21 PM

Re: TV Remote

Ah, I didn't know that Mups, thanks for the information, and glad your TV is working now.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
This morning, my remote wouldn't work on the kitchen telly, I couldn't even turn it on.

I had only changed the batteries about a week ago, but changed them again to make sure they were OK, but it still made no difference.
I went right up close to the telly and kept pressing, and eventually it came on - but then I couldn't change channnel, alter the sound, or turn it off again!

After looking at the handbook troubleshooting pages, it said to\;
1. Change the batteries.
2. Clean the sensor's transmission window on the remote.
3. Try again from 1.5 metres away.

I didn't know what the 'sensor transmission window' was, is it the little thing on the top end that looks like a tiny light bulb please?

Also, although it seems to be going again at the mo, if it did pack up, how would I turn the tv off?

Thanks very much.
I've just googled it and it seems that tiny light bulb is it.
Are you sure there isn't a on/off switch on your tV? it could be hidden behind a flap or something
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 03:39 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12U9l_wc2bY
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 05:00 PM

As far as I know all TV's are equipped with on/off , volume control, these features will be somewhere on your TV,

try with your remote remove cover to your batteries and revolve the two batteries a few times, replace cover and try again...

this works for me 9/10

good luck.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 06:10 PM

You can always turn it on or off at the mains plug.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I've just googled it and it seems that tiny light bulb is it.
Are you sure there isn't a on/off switch on your tV? it could be hidden behind a flap or something

Aha. You're a gem.
Thanks LQ.

Why do they have to call the darn thing 'A Window?'
It's nothing like a flippin' window!

I was looking for a tiny glass panel somewhere at first.
These instruction books tell you what to clean, but don't show you where it is or what it looks like!

It's men again you see.
If a woman had written that booklet, she have said it was like a tiny bulb on the end of the device, probably even accompanied with a diagram as well.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

08-04-2018, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by basser ->
As far as I know all TV's are equipped with on/off , volume control, these features will be somewhere on your TV,

try with your remote remove cover to your batteries and revolve the two batteries a few times, replace cover and try again...

this works for me 9/10

good luck.

Thank you Basser. I will remember that.

Emjay, I have looked top, bottom, front, back and sides, and no where can I see an On/Off button.
I guess worse comes to worse I would have to turn it off at the wall and unplug it as you say. Thankyou.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 06:27 PM

I have never cleaned the 'transmission window' but never had a problem. The only time my remotes don't work is when one of the cats are asleep in front of the TV.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

08-04-2018, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I have never cleaned the 'transmission window' but never had a problem. The only time my remotes don't work is when one of the cats are asleep in front of the TV.

Nor had I ever cleaned it before today, when it packed up dongles, it never occurred to me even, not till I read the instruction booklet.

Still think that's a stooopid name for it - transmission window.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top