Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 01:04 PM

Re: ID reqd.

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Oh No! Is it the same as what’s growing in my garden?
It's a skin irritant but only if you cut the stems then touch the rising sap. It is also mildly toxic for cats and dogs.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 01:04 PM

Spurge is a good word!
I never understand why some people plant extremely poisonous plants in their gardens, but, then some garden centres don't label them.
I think I heard about it when Geoff Hamilton was on Gardener's World, he was good!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Triffid innit.

Oh stoppit Nommy!

I have never planted this, but it is very near one of my bird tables, and I wondered if it was something grown from the seed mixtures?

I don't know whether it is safe with the dogs (and me) or whether to dig it up?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Tess, fancy having a stab at this mystery one sprung up in my garden too, please?
The first picture is of the base of the plant. It has longish, quite stiff grassy-like leaves all around the main stem.

And the upper half is like this:

All the flowers stay green, but inside the 'cups' there are a few white stamens.
The whole plant is about 3 ft high, and has a thick main stem about 2 & half ins circumference.
Er, it's not cannabis!
Is it some kind of campanula?
Almost looks like some kind of helibore, I'll have a think and a look in me book
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Er, it's not cannabis!
Is it some kind of campanula?
Almost looks like some kind of helibore, I'll have a think and a look in me book

I have no idea Tess.
All the ID sites I have looked on, want a flippin' plant name first. If I knew the flippin' name I wouldn't be trying to ID it would I!

Don't think Hellebores are anything like that size Tess, and they are not green flowers either to my knowledge?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 01:10 PM

I didn’t buy mine. It was given to me years ago by my brother in law who owned a skip hire company and it came off a skip!!
Maybe, that’s why it was on the skip, in the first place!

Saying that, l have seen some like mine growing in public parks. I thought they were more of an ornamental variety?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

26-04-2018, 01:18 PM

Stinking Helebore Mups, check it out and see if that's it.
My helebores are huge and some have green flowers.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

26-04-2018, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Stinking Helebore Mups, check it out and see if that's it.
My helebores are huge and some have green flowers.

I'll do that now Tess, and come back to you.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

26-04-2018, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I didn’t buy mine. It was given to me years ago by my brother in law who owned a skip hire company and it came off a skip!!
Maybe, that’s why it was on the skip, in the first place!

Saying that, l have seen some like mine growing in public parks. I thought they were more of an ornamental variety?
There's lots of different ones Art, some even at the Chelsea flower show, they're all poisonous but many folk don't know that.
It's the sap that's not nice if you get it on your skin but I think it's not a good idea to touch it at all. Some are very pretty though.
Garden centres should label plants properly, I've seen Oleanders not labelled, they're not good either.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

26-04-2018, 01:29 PM

By gum you're good at this Tess!

Looked it up and got some identical images to my plant.
The RHS actually give instructions on how to care for it, but another site says the whole plant is highly poisonous!

Think I will play safe, don some gloves and go dig it up right now. I am even wondering if that is why Nellie keeps licking her paws lately, and she's always poking about in the flowerbeds!

You're a genius. Thankyou so much Tess.
Luv you lots. x x

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top