Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2018, 09:43 PM

Re: The Alfie Evans case has proven we have to change the law in favour of parents

Perhaps it all comes down to money? For a paralysed adult patient who is kept at home there is little cost to public money compared to a terminally ill infant kept on life support in a hospital. Easy to have high ethics perhaps when it's free?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2018, 10:03 PM

Re: The Alfie Evans case has proven we have to change the law in favour of parents

A matter of ethics versus money?
It could have been ethics that decided it was cruel to keep him alive?
But also ethical to allow an old paralysed person to live?
That somehow seems harsher on the adult patient.
For example, one wonders how Michael Schumacher is doing these days when it is estimated it costs 150,000 dollars a week from his personal fortune for 24/7 care by a private team of medical staff.

What would have eventually become of the little lad then? Kept on a life support machine for a lifespan dictated to by machines? 5 years? 10 years? 40 years?
At what point is it recognised that he has no quality of life?
Would Alfie or his parents have benefited in anyway from it?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2018, 10:11 PM

I have friends with a disabled daughter. She is now 11 and was never able to sit up unaided. She is supported by an electric wheelchair much like Stephen Hawking. She is fed through a tube. Every year she ends up in hospital with pneumonia. But she has a very full life despite all this and is very much loved. Her parents put all their energy into making her life as normal as possible, she has school etc. her parents celebrate every little success.

On the one hand people who have lost everything want to die and on the other those who have never had anything want to live. Go figure.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2018, 10:28 PM

Am I mistaken in thinking that little Alfie's mental faculties were seriously impaired .... .. what exactly did the medical profession mean by a 'semi vegetative state?'
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2018, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Am I mistaken in thinking that little Alfie's mental faculties were seriously impaired .... .. what exactly did the medical profession mean by a 'semi vegetative state?'
Can't see, can't hear, can't breathe, can't swallow, as far as it can be assessed can't feel, has no awareness of anything....
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

28-04-2018, 10:35 PM

Quality of life ...... zilch then.
A shell.
With a little character and personality that would never grow and flourish, never run, play footie, learn to laugh, struggle over homework... the list is endless and could never even be begun.
But did have the love of his parents.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2018, 10:43 PM

The way I see it the body is a machine that in some circumstances can be kept 'Alive' artificially by machines.
But once certain functions in the brain are damaged they cannot heal themselves even with the help of machinery.
There are functions such as heart beat, digestion etc. that can be maintained artificially indefinately ..................but there is no consciousness, so brain dead.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

28-04-2018, 10:46 PM

That's the way I see it too Bruv.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2018, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
In case there's any doubt in anyone's mind as to the professionalism of the doctors and everyone else who had anything to do with the care of this child, I think it's worth posting this report again (Tara posted it earlier).

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Fam/2018/308.html

The detailed analysis involved in this report is absolutely mind boggling.

The judge comes over as totally compassionate and understanding in all aspects of the situation.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

28-04-2018, 11:04 PM

I'm totally for right to die, but parents or family should have more rights is what I am saying. Their wishes should carry some weight and be respected.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top